Aug 21, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
For the second time this offseason, a player that transferred out of Rutgers after the Mike Rice scandal broke has been granted a waiver to be eligible immediately by the NCAA.
This time it’s Vincent Garrett, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Garrett is a 6-foot-5 wing that saw action in just 12 games a season ago before transferring to Wisconsin-Green Bay. He joins Mike Poole, who transferred to Rutgers, as the former Rutgers players that are eligible immediately.
In and of itself, this Garrett news is not a major deal, but it is a good sign for one of the four major eligibility questions heading into the 2013-2014 season.
Eli Carter, who averaged 14.9 points for the Scarlet Knights a year ago, transferred to Florida. The Gators, who are also waiting to hear about incoming freshman Chris Walker’s eligibility, need the back court depth. They are entering the season with another freshman, Kasey Hill, and Scottie Wilbekin, pending a return from his indefinite suspension, at the point with sophomore Michael Frazier the only back court options with any kind of significant experience. Carter would be a major boost to their depth, and the ruling in Garrett’s case is a good sign.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)