Aug 21, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
For the second time this offseason, a player that transferred out of Rutgers after the Mike Rice scandal broke has been granted a waiver to be eligible immediately by the NCAA.
This time it’s Vincent Garrett, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Garrett is a 6-foot-5 wing that saw action in just 12 games a season ago before transferring to Wisconsin-Green Bay. He joins Mike Poole, who transferred to Rutgers, as the former Rutgers players that are eligible immediately.
In and of itself, this Garrett news is not a major deal, but it is a good sign for one of the four major eligibility questions heading into the 2013-2014 season.
Eli Carter, who averaged 14.9 points for the Scarlet Knights a year ago, transferred to Florida. The Gators, who are also waiting to hear about incoming freshman Chris Walker’s eligibility, need the back court depth. They are entering the season with another freshman, Kasey Hill, and Scottie Wilbekin, pending a return from his indefinite suspension, at the point with sophomore Michael Frazier the only back court options with any kind of significant experience. Carter would be a major boost to their depth, and the ruling in Garrett’s case is a good sign.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)