Aug 21, 2013, 2:33 PM EST
For the second time this offseason, a player that transferred out of Rutgers after the Mike Rice scandal broke has been granted a waiver to be eligible immediately by the NCAA.
This time it’s Vincent Garrett, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Garrett is a 6-foot-5 wing that saw action in just 12 games a season ago before transferring to Wisconsin-Green Bay. He joins Mike Poole, who transferred to Rutgers, as the former Rutgers players that are eligible immediately.
In and of itself, this Garrett news is not a major deal, but it is a good sign for one of the four major eligibility questions heading into the 2013-2014 season.
Eli Carter, who averaged 14.9 points for the Scarlet Knights a year ago, transferred to Florida. The Gators, who are also waiting to hear about incoming freshman Chris Walker’s eligibility, need the back court depth. They are entering the season with another freshman, Kasey Hill, and Scottie Wilbekin, pending a return from his indefinite suspension, at the point with sophomore Michael Frazier the only back court options with any kind of significant experience. Carter would be a major boost to their depth, and the ruling in Garrett’s case is a good sign.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)