Aug 21, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
For the second time this offseason, a player that transferred out of Rutgers after the Mike Rice scandal broke has been granted a waiver to be eligible immediately by the NCAA.
This time it’s Vincent Garrett, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Garrett is a 6-foot-5 wing that saw action in just 12 games a season ago before transferring to Wisconsin-Green Bay. He joins Mike Poole, who transferred to Rutgers, as the former Rutgers players that are eligible immediately.
In and of itself, this Garrett news is not a major deal, but it is a good sign for one of the four major eligibility questions heading into the 2013-2014 season.
Eli Carter, who averaged 14.9 points for the Scarlet Knights a year ago, transferred to Florida. The Gators, who are also waiting to hear about incoming freshman Chris Walker’s eligibility, need the back court depth. They are entering the season with another freshman, Kasey Hill, and Scottie Wilbekin, pending a return from his indefinite suspension, at the point with sophomore Michael Frazier the only back court options with any kind of significant experience. Carter would be a major boost to their depth, and the ruling in Garrett’s case is a good sign.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)