Aug 21, 2013, 2:16 PM EST
Calbert Cheaney spent the past two years working as the Director of Basketball Operations for Indiana, the University where he was made three straight all-america teams before launching on a 13-year NBA career.
But Cheaney, a Hoosier legend, has moved on, accepting a job with St. Louis as the third assistant coach on Jim Crews’ staff.
“I have had a great appreciation for Calbert as a player and person ever since I met him during his sophomore year in high school,” Crews said in a statement released by the school. “He is of high character and has a great combination of work habits and work ethic. Calbert is very good at transferring his knowledge to the players he coaches, and he will fit in well with our coaching staff and players. We are excited to welcome him into the program.”
“I have known Jim Crews for a long time, and I’m eager to work with him and the rest of the SLU staff,” Cheaney said. “This is a great coaching situation to step into, and I look forward to adding to SLU’s recent success. I appreciate the SLU department of athletics welcoming my family into theirs.
“It is bittersweet to leave Indiana. Learning and building relationships with Coach Crean, the IU staff and the players was an unbelievable experience. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”
The position came available when Jim Whitesell left the Billikens for St. John’s.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)