Aug 21, 2013, 9:40 PM EST
In eight seasons as the head coach at VMI, Duggar Baucom’s won a school-record 118 games and led the Keydets to three Big South tournament title appearances in the last seven seasons. One reason for the improved play is the uptempo style Baucom’s teams play, with the Keydets annually ranking among the highest scoring teams in the country.
On Wednesday the school announced that Baucom’s contract has been extended through the 2017-18 season, a deserved reward when considering the lack of success at the school prior to Baucom’s arrival.
“I am very proud of what we have established here and will continue to build in the future. We have been fortunate to have cadet-athletes that have excelled on the court, in the Corps, in the classroom, and after graduation,” Baucom said in the release. “I will always be indebted to my former players for the culture they have created at the Institute and to my current players who continue to hold that bar high.
“I’m very appreciative of my staff for their hard work and dedication to our program. We are extremely grateful to the Keydet Club, our alumni, and our loyal fan base.“
Baucom’s extension caps a summer that featured VMI’s acceptance of a spot in the Southern Conference, with the school scheduled to make that move next July. On the basketball court the Keydets will have to account for the graduation of leading scorer and rebounder Stan Okoye (21.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg), who won Big South Player of the Year honors in 2012-13.
Seniors D.J. Covington (15.0, 7.2, 3.0 bpg), who won Big South Defensive Player of the Year last season, and Rodney Glasgow (11.7, 4.8 apg) return for their final campaign, as does junior guard Brian Brown.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)