Aug 21, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
The 2012-13 season was one of great accomplishment for the West Coast Conference. Sure many will remember the fact that Gonzaga was knocked off by Wichita State in the NCAA tournament, but the fact remains that the Bulldogs were at one point ranked number one in the country and also earned the first one-seed in program history.
Also of note were three other programs participating in postseason play: CBI champion Santa Clara, Postseason NIT semifinalist BYU and NCAA tournament participant Saint Mary’s. With Pacific, which represented the Big West in last year’s tournament, joining the fold the WCC will be a ten-team league this season. On Tuesday the WCC released its conference schedule for the 2013-14 season, with league play beginning on December 28.
Some games on the slate that stick out:
- Saint Mary’s at Pacific (December 30): The Tigers, who were a member of the West Coast Athletic Conference (precursor to the WCC) until moving to the Pacific Coast Athletic Association (which eventually became the Big West) in 1969, play their first game as a member of the WCC. Bob Thomason may have retired but new head coach Ron Verlin takes over a team with seven seniors and three juniors. Hosting Saint Mary’s, which will be a contender despite the graduation of Matthew Dellavedova, is a good early test for Pacific.
- Saint Mary’s at Gonzaga (January 2): Why’s the above game so important for the Gaels if they’re to have a shot at winning the WCC? They visit the defending champs a couple nights later. Gonzaga may have lost Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk in the front court but Mark Few’s team is loaded on the perimeter. The key to their long-term hopes (both within and outside of the WCC): the improvement of center Przemek Karnowski.
- BYU at Santa Clara (January 18): Kerry Keating does have to account for the graduation of guard Kevin Foster and forward Marc Trasolini but senior guard Evan Roquemore is back to lead the way. BYU doesn’t lack for talent with guard Tyler Haws and center Nate Austin back in Provo, with the hope for head coach Dave Rose being that they’ll earn a return trip to the NCAA tournament after missing out last season.
- Gonzaga at San Diego (February 22): Gonzaga survived last year’s meeting at Jenny Craig Pavilion, winning 65-63 despite USD getting 21 points from guard Johnny Dee. Dee and Christopher Anderson form one of the WCC’s best perimeter tandems, with Gonzaga’s Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. likely being the best.
- Gonzaga at Saint Mary’s (March 1): The last time a school other than Gonzaga or Saint Mary’s won at least a share of the WCC regular season title: 2002, when Pepperdine finished tied atop the standings with Gonzaga (13-1). So looking at the recent history of the conference, not to mention how good this rivalry’s been, it’s obvious that a lot will be on the line in Moraga.
After wrapping up the regular season on March 1, the WCC tournament will once again be played at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas from March 6-11.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski accepting the head coaching position at Marquette, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would account for that departure Friday.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Tulsa has officially hired Frank Haith to be its new basketball coach.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga’s added a fourth member to its 2014 recruiting class, with the son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis making his pledge to join the program.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Former Houston players Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas met with an appeals committee Thursday in hopes of getting released from their respective scholarships.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Rodney Hood is following Jabari Parker to the league.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Is Frank Haith getting out of Missouri before they kick him out?
Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting to hear from four players on their NBA decision.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)