Aug 21, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
The 2012-13 season was one of great accomplishment for the West Coast Conference. Sure many will remember the fact that Gonzaga was knocked off by Wichita State in the NCAA tournament, but the fact remains that the Bulldogs were at one point ranked number one in the country and also earned the first one-seed in program history.
Also of note were three other programs participating in postseason play: CBI champion Santa Clara, Postseason NIT semifinalist BYU and NCAA tournament participant Saint Mary’s. With Pacific, which represented the Big West in last year’s tournament, joining the fold the WCC will be a ten-team league this season. On Tuesday the WCC released its conference schedule for the 2013-14 season, with league play beginning on December 28.
Some games on the slate that stick out:
- Saint Mary’s at Pacific (December 30): The Tigers, who were a member of the West Coast Athletic Conference (precursor to the WCC) until moving to the Pacific Coast Athletic Association (which eventually became the Big West) in 1969, play their first game as a member of the WCC. Bob Thomason may have retired but new head coach Ron Verlin takes over a team with seven seniors and three juniors. Hosting Saint Mary’s, which will be a contender despite the graduation of Matthew Dellavedova, is a good early test for Pacific.
- Saint Mary’s at Gonzaga (January 2): Why’s the above game so important for the Gaels if they’re to have a shot at winning the WCC? They visit the defending champs a couple nights later. Gonzaga may have lost Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk in the front court but Mark Few’s team is loaded on the perimeter. The key to their long-term hopes (both within and outside of the WCC): the improvement of center Przemek Karnowski.
- BYU at Santa Clara (January 18): Kerry Keating does have to account for the graduation of guard Kevin Foster and forward Marc Trasolini but senior guard Evan Roquemore is back to lead the way. BYU doesn’t lack for talent with guard Tyler Haws and center Nate Austin back in Provo, with the hope for head coach Dave Rose being that they’ll earn a return trip to the NCAA tournament after missing out last season.
- Gonzaga at San Diego (February 22): Gonzaga survived last year’s meeting at Jenny Craig Pavilion, winning 65-63 despite USD getting 21 points from guard Johnny Dee. Dee and Christopher Anderson form one of the WCC’s best perimeter tandems, with Gonzaga’s Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. likely being the best.
- Gonzaga at Saint Mary’s (March 1): The last time a school other than Gonzaga or Saint Mary’s won at least a share of the WCC regular season title: 2002, when Pepperdine finished tied atop the standings with Gonzaga (13-1). So looking at the recent history of the conference, not to mention how good this rivalry’s been, it’s obvious that a lot will be on the line in Moraga.
After wrapping up the regular season on March 1, the WCC tournament will once again be played at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas from March 6-11.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)