Aug 22, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
The good news for Wisconsin is that Josh Gasser is back.
He may not be in the best shape of his life, and he may be a bit rusty coming off of a torn ACL, but he’s back on the floor. He started and played 12 minutes in Wisconsin’s exhibition game against Carleton on their trip to Canada.
“It felt great to be out there,” Gasser said. “I’m still a little bit tentative and a bit sluggish, but it felt good to be out there with the guys and get up and down the court a little bit and just play. It’s been a long road, so this was fun.”
That was the end of the good news, however.
Wisconsin became Carleton’s third NCAA victim this month, as they knocked off the Badgers 95-82. They also beat both Towson and TCU by 26 points each. The aptly named Phil Scrubb finished with 30 points and 12 assists, while Tyson Hinz chipped in with 25 points, 10 boards and three blocks.
Now to be fair, this is a tough matchup for Wisconsin considering Carleton’s style of play (full court pressure) and the fact that in Canadian basketball, a shorter shot clock is used. That hurts the Badgers, as did the fact that their first game with three new starters came against a team that threw waves of pressure at them.
But that still doesn’t change the fact that Carleton has now won three straight games against Division I competition by double-figures.
The Ravens take on Syracuse on Friday. If they beat the Orange too, than it may be time to consider expanding conference realignment into Canada.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)