Aug 22, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
The good news for Wisconsin is that Josh Gasser is back.
He may not be in the best shape of his life, and he may be a bit rusty coming off of a torn ACL, but he’s back on the floor. He started and played 12 minutes in Wisconsin’s exhibition game against Carleton on their trip to Canada.
“It felt great to be out there,” Gasser said. “I’m still a little bit tentative and a bit sluggish, but it felt good to be out there with the guys and get up and down the court a little bit and just play. It’s been a long road, so this was fun.”
That was the end of the good news, however.
Wisconsin became Carleton’s third NCAA victim this month, as they knocked off the Badgers 95-82. They also beat both Towson and TCU by 26 points each. The aptly named Phil Scrubb finished with 30 points and 12 assists, while Tyson Hinz chipped in with 25 points, 10 boards and three blocks.
Now to be fair, this is a tough matchup for Wisconsin considering Carleton’s style of play (full court pressure) and the fact that in Canadian basketball, a shorter shot clock is used. That hurts the Badgers, as did the fact that their first game with three new starters came against a team that threw waves of pressure at them.
But that still doesn’t change the fact that Carleton has now won three straight games against Division I competition by double-figures.
The Ravens take on Syracuse on Friday. If they beat the Orange too, than it may be time to consider expanding conference realignment into Canada.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)