Aug 22, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
The good news for Wisconsin is that Josh Gasser is back.
He may not be in the best shape of his life, and he may be a bit rusty coming off of a torn ACL, but he’s back on the floor. He started and played 12 minutes in Wisconsin’s exhibition game against Carleton on their trip to Canada.
“It felt great to be out there,” Gasser said. “I’m still a little bit tentative and a bit sluggish, but it felt good to be out there with the guys and get up and down the court a little bit and just play. It’s been a long road, so this was fun.”
That was the end of the good news, however.
Wisconsin became Carleton’s third NCAA victim this month, as they knocked off the Badgers 95-82. They also beat both Towson and TCU by 26 points each. The aptly named Phil Scrubb finished with 30 points and 12 assists, while Tyson Hinz chipped in with 25 points, 10 boards and three blocks.
Now to be fair, this is a tough matchup for Wisconsin considering Carleton’s style of play (full court pressure) and the fact that in Canadian basketball, a shorter shot clock is used. That hurts the Badgers, as did the fact that their first game with three new starters came against a team that threw waves of pressure at them.
But that still doesn’t change the fact that Carleton has now won three straight games against Division I competition by double-figures.
The Ravens take on Syracuse on Friday. If they beat the Orange too, than it may be time to consider expanding conference realignment into Canada.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)