Aug 22, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
With two assistant coaches leaving the program at the end of the 2012-13 season, Rider head coach Kevin Baggett had some slots to fill on his coaching staff for the 2013-14 campaign. The first move was to promote John Griffin, who was the director of basketball operations last season, to assistant coach.
And according to a report from Kyle Franco of the Trentonian, the other vacancy will be filled by Donyell Marshall. Marshall, who averaged 11.2 points and 6.7 rebounds per game in 15 seasons in the NBA, has experience as an assistant at both the collegiate (George Washington; 2010-11) and professional levels (Maine Red Claws; 2011-12).
Marshall’s most noteworthy achievements as a player came at the college level, as he earned Big East Player of the Year and consensus All-America honors as a junior at UConn in 1994. Marshall averaged 25.1 points per game, leading the Huskies to a 29-5 record and a Sweet 16 appearance.
Interestingly enough UConn’s first round victory in the NCAA tournament that season came at the expense of Rider, as the Huskies beat the Broncs by the final score of 64-46. Marshall led the way offensively for the Huskies, scoring a game-high 19 points.
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)