Aug 23, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
First-year Buffalo head coach Bobby Hurley has the fortune of taking over a program that features arguably the best player in the Mid-American Conference in senior forward Javon McCrea. McCrea led the Bulls with averages of 18.0 points and 7.9 rebounds per game, and he’s the early favorite in some circles to grab league Player of the Year honors.
But as evidenced by the Bulls’ 14-20 record, it can’t be McCrea doing all of the heavy lifting by himself if Buffalo is to improve its standing within the tough East Division of the MAC. Buffalo landed some help on Friday, as it was announced that former Alabama State guard Josh Freelove has joined the program and is eligible to play immediately.
Freelove’s name may be familiar to diehard MAC basketball fans, as he spent his freshman campaign at Toledo before transferring to Lewis and Clark CC (Ill.). As a junior at Alabama State, Freelove averaged 13.6 points per game on 46.1% shooting from the field.
Of Buffalo’s top four scorers from a season ago just one (guard Tony Watson II) doesn’t return, and in theory Freelove should be able to account for Watson’s graduation. With McCrea leading the way the pieces are in place for coach Hurley to make a splash in his debut season. But given how well programs like Akron and Ohio have performed in recent years, making that move up the MAC pecking order is easier said than done.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)