Aug 23, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
Formerly a commitment in West Virginia’s 2012 recruiting class, 6-8 power forward Elijah Macon was forced to delay his enrollment in order to attend prep school. One year later, Macon’s been cleared to attend the school this season according to Mitch Vingle of the Charleston (W. Va.) Gazette. Of course, this means that Macon has still yet to be cleared to play.
The addition of the Huntington Prep product (if cleared to play) is an important one for the Mountaineers, who lost both Deniz Kilicli and Aaric Murray from last year’s team. The 2012-13 campaign was a disappointing one for head coach Bob Huggins, and while he may not have a great deal of interior depth this season this may be a better mix.
Macon would join a rotation that doesn’t have a great amount of experience, with junior Kevin Noreen (3.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg) being the most experienced returnee. The Mountaineers did manage to add some talented players to the front court, with former URI big man Jonathan Holton and freshman Devin Williams among the newcomers.
Holton had some legal issues to clear up before being allowed to join the program, and with that done the former Atlantic 10 All-Freshman Team selection has the talent needed to be an impact newcomer in the Big 12. Adding Macon to the mix would only make the Mountaineers better inside.
But if last season did anything, it reiterated the importance of team chemistry to a successful program. If West Virginia can improve in this area, they’ve got a shot at improving on their 13-19 record (6-12 Big 12) of a season ago.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)