Aug 23, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The Temple Owls aren’t in a position where they can afford to lose too many bodies heading into the 2013-14 season. With Khalif Wyatt and three other key contributors from last season’s NCAA tournament team out of eligibility, head coach Fran Dunphy finds himself with a team that doesn’t have much depth. And the program’s taken another hit in the personnel department.
According to Josh Verlin of City of Basketball Love, 6-5 freshman guard/forward Kyle Green has decided to leave the program. Green reportedly did not accompany the team on its recent trip to Europe for personal reasons.
How much would Green have played had he decided to remain with the program? He didn’t seem to be in a position where he’d earn major minutes, but the fact of the matter is that Temple is now down to ten players with nine being on scholarship according to Nick Menta of CSN Philly.
Already in a position where they could ill afford injuries to key players such as forward Anthony Lee and guard Will Cummings, the Owls won’t have a large margin of error as they take on a schedule that includes the traditional Big 5 (La Salle, Penn, Saint Joseph’s and Villanova) games as well as their American Athletic Conference schedule.
Temple’s trip to Europe came at the right time in regards to their adjustment to life without Wyatt and Co., as guys who were either role or seldom-used players last season will have to take on added responsibilities in 2013-14.
Temple won its finale against Perugia on Tuesday, and they also won three of four quarters in a scrimmage against Mantova earlier in the trip.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)