Aug 23, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Six-foot guard Cameron Fowler redshirted as a freshman at Iowa State last season, and he eventually decided to transfer to Niagara in the spring. Luckily for Fowler he won’t have to sit out another season, as it was reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports that the guard is eligible to play immediately.
As a senior at U-D Jesuit High in Detroit, Fowler averaged 17.2 points and 8.0 assists per game, and he earned All-Catholic League honors in three of his four seasons at the school. Given the roster turnover at Niagara, there’s a chance that Fowler could see playing time under new head coach Chris Casey.
Both Juan’ya Green and Ameen Tanksley made the decision to transfer to Hofstra, following coach Joe Mihalich after he accepted the head coaching position there. Also, MAAC All-Freshman Team honoree T.J. Cline transferred to Richmond.
The Purple Eagles won’t be devoid of talent however, as leading scorer Antoine Mason (18.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg) and key contributors Marvin Jordan (8.2 ppg) and Tahjere McCall (4.0, 3.3, 23 starts) have all returned. But with the personnel losses it’s going to be tough for Niagara to hold off Iona and Manhattan as they look to repeat at MAAC regular season champions.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)