Aug 23, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Six-foot guard Cameron Fowler redshirted as a freshman at Iowa State last season, and he eventually decided to transfer to Niagara in the spring. Luckily for Fowler he won’t have to sit out another season, as it was reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports that the guard is eligible to play immediately.
As a senior at U-D Jesuit High in Detroit, Fowler averaged 17.2 points and 8.0 assists per game, and he earned All-Catholic League honors in three of his four seasons at the school. Given the roster turnover at Niagara, there’s a chance that Fowler could see playing time under new head coach Chris Casey.
Both Juan’ya Green and Ameen Tanksley made the decision to transfer to Hofstra, following coach Joe Mihalich after he accepted the head coaching position there. Also, MAAC All-Freshman Team honoree T.J. Cline transferred to Richmond.
The Purple Eagles won’t be devoid of talent however, as leading scorer Antoine Mason (18.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg) and key contributors Marvin Jordan (8.2 ppg) and Tahjere McCall (4.0, 3.3, 23 starts) have all returned. But with the personnel losses it’s going to be tough for Niagara to hold off Iona and Manhattan as they look to repeat at MAAC regular season champions.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)