Aug 23, 2013, 10:16 AM EDT
Dickey Nutt’s Southeast Missouri State Redhawks didn’t have much trouble scoring last season, as they ranked second in the Ohio Valley Conference in both scoring offense (74.1 ppg) and field goal percentage (46.9%). Forwards Tyler Stone (15.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg) and Nino Johnson (11.1, 8.8) were two of the leaders for the Redhawks, and they’ll be expected to lead the way this season with guards Marland Smith and Corey Wilford out of eligibility.
On Thursday the school announced a late signee in 6-5 forward/guard Jarekious Bradley, who averaged 21.1 points per game at East Mississippi CC last season. Bradley, who is a cousin of Stone’s, also averaged eight rebounds per game and earned NJCAA Division I All-America honors.
“Jarekious is a good shooter who can really score the basketball and we have watched him since high school,” coach Nutt said in the release. “He’s strong and physical, and can play a lot of different positions. We feel like he has a chance to be an impact player.”
SEMO finished the 2012-13 season with a 17-16 record, going 8-8 in OVC play. The issue for the Redhawks: forcing turnovers. The Redhawks finished the season with a turnover margin of -2.27, a figure that ranked 11th in the conference. The reason for the negative margin: SEMO managed to force just 10.5 turnovers per game.
While Nutt’s team did allow 71.5 points per game, that was a matter of pace more than anything. SEMO ranked in the top five in the OVC in both field goal (1st) and three-point (4th) percentage defense. If the Redhawks can improve their ability to force turnovers, they’ll be an even better group defensively.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)