Aug 23, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Freshman point guard Terrence Samuel was one of two UConn freshmen still awaiting word regarding his status for the 2013-14 season. On Thursday it was reported by Kevin Duffy of the Connecticut Post that the guard has been cleared to enroll at the school.
A talented and physical guard, Samuel has the ability to be a factor. But the question to be asked is just how much of a dent can he make in a perimeter rotation that’s loaded. Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier combine to form one of the nation’s best perimeter tandems, and there’s also sophomore Omar Calhoun (recovering from offseason hip surgery) and experienced George Washington transfer Lasan Kromah to consider as well.
The good news however is that Samuel’s able to enroll at UConn; one would assume that at some point in the near future there will be a decision in regards to whether or not he’ll be cleared to play. Samuel missed out on summer workouts due to his need to take an additional high school course, so he’ll likely be a little behind his teammates when fall workouts begin.
The other decision UConn’s waiting on involves freshman center Kentan Facey, and a ruling against Facey has the potential to be more damaging given the Huskies’ lack of front court depth.
Samuel’s AAU teammate, Kentan Facey, is still awaiting clearance. Facey under review because the NCAA believes his “eligibility clock” may have started ticking, a source said. A long 6-foot-9 forward, Facey transferred from Jamaica at age 16 and spent three years in U.S. high schools. The timetable for a decision on his eligibility is unknown.
If all players are available to head coach Kevin Ollie, UConn has the pieces needed to be Louisville’s biggest challenger in the American Athletic Conference. Even without a piece or two they’ll be a factor thanks to the presence of Boatright, Napier, Calhoun and forward DeAndre Daniels, but the Huskies will need the depth if they’re to make some noise in the NCAA tournament.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)