Aug 23, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Freshman point guard Terrence Samuel was one of two UConn freshmen still awaiting word regarding his status for the 2013-14 season. On Thursday it was reported by Kevin Duffy of the Connecticut Post that the guard has been cleared to enroll at the school.
A talented and physical guard, Samuel has the ability to be a factor. But the question to be asked is just how much of a dent can he make in a perimeter rotation that’s loaded. Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier combine to form one of the nation’s best perimeter tandems, and there’s also sophomore Omar Calhoun (recovering from offseason hip surgery) and experienced George Washington transfer Lasan Kromah to consider as well.
The good news however is that Samuel’s able to enroll at UConn; one would assume that at some point in the near future there will be a decision in regards to whether or not he’ll be cleared to play. Samuel missed out on summer workouts due to his need to take an additional high school course, so he’ll likely be a little behind his teammates when fall workouts begin.
The other decision UConn’s waiting on involves freshman center Kentan Facey, and a ruling against Facey has the potential to be more damaging given the Huskies’ lack of front court depth.
Samuel’s AAU teammate, Kentan Facey, is still awaiting clearance. Facey under review because the NCAA believes his “eligibility clock” may have started ticking, a source said. A long 6-foot-9 forward, Facey transferred from Jamaica at age 16 and spent three years in U.S. high schools. The timetable for a decision on his eligibility is unknown.
If all players are available to head coach Kevin Ollie, UConn has the pieces needed to be Louisville’s biggest challenger in the American Athletic Conference. Even without a piece or two they’ll be a factor thanks to the presence of Boatright, Napier, Calhoun and forward DeAndre Daniels, but the Huskies will need the depth if they’re to make some noise in the NCAA tournament.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)