Aug 23, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Freshman point guard Terrence Samuel was one of two UConn freshmen still awaiting word regarding his status for the 2013-14 season. On Thursday it was reported by Kevin Duffy of the Connecticut Post that the guard has been cleared to enroll at the school.
A talented and physical guard, Samuel has the ability to be a factor. But the question to be asked is just how much of a dent can he make in a perimeter rotation that’s loaded. Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier combine to form one of the nation’s best perimeter tandems, and there’s also sophomore Omar Calhoun (recovering from offseason hip surgery) and experienced George Washington transfer Lasan Kromah to consider as well.
The good news however is that Samuel’s able to enroll at UConn; one would assume that at some point in the near future there will be a decision in regards to whether or not he’ll be cleared to play. Samuel missed out on summer workouts due to his need to take an additional high school course, so he’ll likely be a little behind his teammates when fall workouts begin.
The other decision UConn’s waiting on involves freshman center Kentan Facey, and a ruling against Facey has the potential to be more damaging given the Huskies’ lack of front court depth.
Samuel’s AAU teammate, Kentan Facey, is still awaiting clearance. Facey under review because the NCAA believes his “eligibility clock” may have started ticking, a source said. A long 6-foot-9 forward, Facey transferred from Jamaica at age 16 and spent three years in U.S. high schools. The timetable for a decision on his eligibility is unknown.
If all players are available to head coach Kevin Ollie, UConn has the pieces needed to be Louisville’s biggest challenger in the American Athletic Conference. Even without a piece or two they’ll be a factor thanks to the presence of Boatright, Napier, Calhoun and forward DeAndre Daniels, but the Huskies will need the depth if they’re to make some noise in the NCAA tournament.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)