Aug 24, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
When you have a cool nickname like “Dunk City”, people tend to want to check out your games. Although Florida Gulf Coast and the Atlantic Sun aren’t typically on national television, thanks to an improbable run to the Sweet 16, Dunk City will have four nationally televised games in 2013-14, according to Florida Gulf Coast’s athletics website.
New coach Joe Dooley and the Eagles open the season on the road at Nebraska on Friday, November 8th to open the Huskers’ brand new Pinnacle Arena on Big Ten Network before their home opener — “Breakfast at the Beach” — against Hartford airs on ESPN2 at 7 a.m. as part of the 24-Hour Tip-Off Marathon on November 12th.
Florida Gulf Coast also will face in-state foe South Florida for the first time on December 17th in a game on ESPNU as part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic. That contest will be played in Tampa.
The rematch of the Atlantic Sun Championship between Florida Gulf Coast and Mercer on February 21st will also be on ESPNU.
With at least four games on national television, this should help Dunk City ride the momentum of last season’s tournament run. The Eagles return four starters and should be the favorite in the Atlantic Sun this season.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)