Aug 24, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
When you have a cool nickname like “Dunk City”, people tend to want to check out your games. Although Florida Gulf Coast and the Atlantic Sun aren’t typically on national television, thanks to an improbable run to the Sweet 16, Dunk City will have four nationally televised games in 2013-14, according to Florida Gulf Coast’s athletics website.
New coach Joe Dooley and the Eagles open the season on the road at Nebraska on Friday, November 8th to open the Huskers’ brand new Pinnacle Arena on Big Ten Network before their home opener — “Breakfast at the Beach” — against Hartford airs on ESPN2 at 7 a.m. as part of the 24-Hour Tip-Off Marathon on November 12th.
Florida Gulf Coast also will face in-state foe South Florida for the first time on December 17th in a game on ESPNU as part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic. That contest will be played in Tampa.
The rematch of the Atlantic Sun Championship between Florida Gulf Coast and Mercer on February 21st will also be on ESPNU.
With at least four games on national television, this should help Dunk City ride the momentum of last season’s tournament run. The Eagles return four starters and should be the favorite in the Atlantic Sun this season.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Michigan lands 2014 commitment from guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman (4)