Aug 24, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
When you have a cool nickname like “Dunk City”, people tend to want to check out your games. Although Florida Gulf Coast and the Atlantic Sun aren’t typically on national television, thanks to an improbable run to the Sweet 16, Dunk City will have four nationally televised games in 2013-14, according to Florida Gulf Coast’s athletics website.
New coach Joe Dooley and the Eagles open the season on the road at Nebraska on Friday, November 8th to open the Huskers’ brand new Pinnacle Arena on Big Ten Network before their home opener — “Breakfast at the Beach” — against Hartford airs on ESPN2 at 7 a.m. as part of the 24-Hour Tip-Off Marathon on November 12th.
Florida Gulf Coast also will face in-state foe South Florida for the first time on December 17th in a game on ESPNU as part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic. That contest will be played in Tampa.
The rematch of the Atlantic Sun Championship between Florida Gulf Coast and Mercer on February 21st will also be on ESPNU.
With at least four games on national television, this should help Dunk City ride the momentum of last season’s tournament run. The Eagles return four starters and should be the favorite in the Atlantic Sun this season.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)