Aug 24, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
A year ago, Siena was 8-24 and struggled for much of the season. Now with new head coach Jimmy Patsos, the Saints are hoping that this week’s trip to Montreal will help forge their identity for this upcoming season.
Patsos takes over Siena after nine years at Loyola (Md.) and is thankful for the trip because of how beneficial the 10 extra practices and five extra games are for the Saints before the season begins.
With only two starters returning — shooting guard Evan Hymes and small forward Rob Poole — Patsos is using the trip to find the necessary depth to play his uptempo style, according to a story from Mike MacAdam of The Daily Gazette.
“I’m trying to get eight or nine guys,” Patsos said to the Daily Gazette. “I know we have three or four from returning. And I know a couple young guys can play just by virtue of what I’m seeing because of summer school, but I’m trying to figure out who the eight or nine guys are who can play this year, because we’re going to press and run this year. We can’t play six guys the way we’re going to play.”
Patsos must also see how freshman point guard Marquis Wright — who will likely start from day one — acclimates to playing at the college level.
The Saints must also work in a few other newcomers at the forward like a pair of freshmen — Javion Ogunyemi and Lavon Long — and Mike Wolfe.
Patsos will start the returning players — except Wright — during the Montreal trip since they have more experience.
“Marquis is the one, Hymes at the two, Poole at the three, Brett [Bisping] at the four, [Imoh] Silas at the five,” Patsos said. “Long looks really good so far. He’s a versatile guy that can do a lot of stuff.”
This will definitely be a rebuilding season for Siena, but with so many newcomers and a new coach they’re one or two years away from potentially making noise in the MAAC with a few more strong recruiting classes.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)