Aug 24, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Syracuse knew it’s Friday night game against three-time defending Canadian champion Carleton would be tough as Carleton had already gone 3-0 against American competition this summer.
But the Orange rallied from a 15-point second-half deficit to defeat the Canadian Interuniversity Sport champions 69-65 in overtime after Carleton had defeated TCU, Towson and Wisconsin earlier this summer.
Sophomore Jerami Grant led the Orange with 18 points and nine rebounds while Tyler Ennis (15 points), Trevor Cooney (12 points) and C.J. Fair (11 points) also finished in double figures.
Obviously an exhibition game against a Canadian team doesn’t mean a whole lot for the upcoming season, but Carleton has won nine of the last 11 CIS titles and handily defeated some other D1 opponents this summer.
The biggest takeaway from this game is Syracuse fighting back after losing for much of the game and rallying to tie the game in the second half and force overtime against a good and prepared opponent.
Freshman point guard Tyler Ennis scoring 15 points is also a positive sign as the Orange will need him to contribute immediately this season.
Syracuse finishes their Canadian trip on Saturday night with one more game against Ottawa.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)