Aug 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Tennessee is getting ready to honor one of its greatest players, and they’ve chosen a big date – the March 1 game when in-state rival Vanderbilt comes to Thompson-Boling – as the perfect time for the ceremony.
The Vols will run Dale Ellis’ number 14 jersey to the rafters in front of a rabid, partisan crowd, and a national television audience. The game is set to be shown on one of the ESPN networks.
Ellis was a two-time All-American and SEC player of the year, back-to-back in the 1982 and 1983 seasons. As Brendan F. Quinn of the Knoxville News-Sentinel pointed out, Ellis would have been higher on the list had he played in a later era:
Ellis’ tally of 2,065 points with the Vols would have been considerably higher had a 3-point line existed at the time. He made 1,719 3-pointers in his NBA career, ninth-most all-time.
Ellis had nine career 30+-point games in his Vols career, including a 30-point effort against Vanderbilt on January 29, 1983.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)