Aug 25, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Over the years prep schools have become an attractive option for many players who hope to earn a college scholarship. Whether it’s to improve their academic standing or to play with and against some of the most talented prep players in the country, these schools have grown in popularity.
But with this comes the risk of landing at a prep school that won’t prepare the player for the next level. This can lead to academic ineligibility at the college level or even derail a player’s growth to the point where a Division I scholarship isn’t possible. Therefore, athletes and their families need to leave no stone unturned when evaluating the possibility of attending a prep school.
In Sunday’s San Diego Union-Tribune, writers Dennis Lin and Stephanie Loh took an in-depth look at La Jolla Prep, and the findings aren’t pretty. According to the story the school, with Gary Trousdale serving as head coach, owes various parties some $56,000 and the problems left many families in a bind that could have derailed the hopes of their children. In the end, the players learned a life lesson they won’t forget anytime soon.
Fresno native Shaq Moore will play at Moorpark College this fall. For him, the experience proved to be a life lesson.
“Basically, he was selling people dreams of scholarship opportunities,” Moore said. “It didn’t really test me beyond my physical limits and my will and (did not) bring me to another step of competition.
“But it strengthened me mentally now that I know I can’t trust a lot of people. It’s a shady world.”
Are all prep schools dealing with issues like these? Absolutely not, but this is certainly a story that needs to be read and discussed within basketball circles.
The entire story can be read here.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)