Aug 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Harvard point guard Brandyn Curry went through a roller coaster season as a junior.
He helped the Crimson reach its first-ever NCAA tournament. The high of that accomplishment was matched months later by the low of being caught in the middle — along with teammate Kyle Casey — in a cheating scandal. The scandal, which included 125 students, resulted in Curry and Casey being removed from campus for an entire year, watching Harvard get back to the NCAA tournament without them, and even advancing in a second round upset over New Mexico.
In early September, Curry and Casey withdrew from the university, a move that would save their final year of eligibility. Now, with classes soon to begin, Curry is ready to return to Cambridge, Mass.
A profile, written by Jacob Feldman of the Charlotte News & Observer, which chronicles Curry’s basketball career from the rise at Hopewell High (N.C.) to a year as a life insurance salesman watching Harvard on TV, all the way to last Tuesday when he received in an email allowing him to re-enroll in Harvard.
The year removed gave Curry time to reflect and grow as a person, while he admits to struggling as a salesman and finding it difficult to watch Crimson games instead of starting in them.
Curry and Casey — who spent his year away with the 3PointFoundation — are rejoining a team that would have been the favorite to win the Ivy League without them. Tommy Amaker returns leading scorer Wesley Saunders, Curry’s successor Siyani Chambers as well as shooter Laurent Rivard and four-star power forward Zena Edosomwan.
From Feldman’s piece, Curry is eager to suit up for Harvard this fall. The former Harvard co-captains earned their way back to school and the team, and through real-world experiences over the last calendar year, could be leading to Harvard to an even more successful campagin than the one they were apart of in 2011-2012.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4