Aug 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Harvard point guard Brandyn Curry went through a roller coaster season as a junior.
He helped the Crimson reach its first-ever NCAA tournament. The high of that accomplishment was matched months later by the low of being caught in the middle — along with teammate Kyle Casey — in a cheating scandal. The scandal, which included 125 students, resulted in Curry and Casey being removed from campus for an entire year, watching Harvard get back to the NCAA tournament without them, and even advancing in a second round upset over New Mexico.
In early September, Curry and Casey withdrew from the university, a move that would save their final year of eligibility. Now, with classes soon to begin, Curry is ready to return to Cambridge, Mass.
A profile, written by Jacob Feldman of the Charlotte News & Observer, which chronicles Curry’s basketball career from the rise at Hopewell High (N.C.) to a year as a life insurance salesman watching Harvard on TV, all the way to last Tuesday when he received in an email allowing him to re-enroll in Harvard.
The year removed gave Curry time to reflect and grow as a person, while he admits to struggling as a salesman and finding it difficult to watch Crimson games instead of starting in them.
Curry and Casey — who spent his year away with the 3PointFoundation — are rejoining a team that would have been the favorite to win the Ivy League without them. Tommy Amaker returns leading scorer Wesley Saunders, Curry’s successor Siyani Chambers as well as shooter Laurent Rivard and four-star power forward Zena Edosomwan.
From Feldman’s piece, Curry is eager to suit up for Harvard this fall. The former Harvard co-captains earned their way back to school and the team, and through real-world experiences over the last calendar year, could be leading to Harvard to an even more successful campagin than the one they were apart of in 2011-2012.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)