Aug 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tyus Jones and Brooklyn’s own Isaiah Whitehead earned Co-MVP honors for the winning team at the 2013 Under Armour Elite 24 at Brooklyn Bridge Park on Saturday night
Jones and Whitehead led Team Coney Island to a closer than expected 114-109 win over Team Bed-Stuy. Stanley Johnson and Emmanuel Mudiay — who announced that he had committed to SMU, over Kentucky, during halftime — were named Co-MVPs for Team Bed-Stuy.
Team Coney Island broke open the game with under eight minutes to go in the first half, going on a 14-0 run in an almost four-minute span that lifted the orange and white to a 66-43 halftime lead.
The opening minutes of the second half indicated that Coney Island was going to run away with the all-star game, bumping the lead up to as much as 31. Though, Johnson and Mudiay — who played like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders following his halftime decision — led the Bed-Stuy comeback. After continually chipping away at the lead, Mudiay erased the double-digit deficit with an alley oop to Kelly Oubre, followed by a catch-and-shoot three in consecutive possessions.
Several possessions later, Whitehead — in front of his hometown fans — cleared out to take on Mudiay one-on-one. The 6-foot-4 Whitehead took Mudiay to the bucket with a spin move and banked in the lefty shot, while also drawing the foul. The Whitehead and-1 helped put Coney Island back up double-digits with under 10 minutes to go in the game.
Team Bed-Stuy had one more late rally, cutting it to four, 108-104 with 60 second left following a Johnson fast break dunk, though, that’s as close as Bed-Stuy would get.
Whithead, who plays at Lincoln High on Coney Island, led all scorers with 26 points.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)