Aug 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tyus Jones and Brooklyn’s own Isaiah Whitehead earned Co-MVP honors for the winning team at the 2013 Under Armour Elite 24 at Brooklyn Bridge Park on Saturday night
Jones and Whitehead led Team Coney Island to a closer than expected 114-109 win over Team Bed-Stuy. Stanley Johnson and Emmanuel Mudiay — who announced that he had committed to SMU, over Kentucky, during halftime — were named Co-MVPs for Team Bed-Stuy.
Team Coney Island broke open the game with under eight minutes to go in the first half, going on a 14-0 run in an almost four-minute span that lifted the orange and white to a 66-43 halftime lead.
The opening minutes of the second half indicated that Coney Island was going to run away with the all-star game, bumping the lead up to as much as 31. Though, Johnson and Mudiay — who played like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders following his halftime decision — led the Bed-Stuy comeback. After continually chipping away at the lead, Mudiay erased the double-digit deficit with an alley oop to Kelly Oubre, followed by a catch-and-shoot three in consecutive possessions.
Several possessions later, Whitehead — in front of his hometown fans — cleared out to take on Mudiay one-on-one. The 6-foot-4 Whitehead took Mudiay to the bucket with a spin move and banked in the lefty shot, while also drawing the foul. The Whitehead and-1 helped put Coney Island back up double-digits with under 10 minutes to go in the game.
Team Bed-Stuy had one more late rally, cutting it to four, 108-104 with 60 second left following a Johnson fast break dunk, though, that’s as close as Bed-Stuy would get.
Whithead, who plays at Lincoln High on Coney Island, led all scorers with 26 points.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)