Aug 25, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Saturday night, UNLV rising sophomore forward Savon Goodman was suspended for the 2013-2014 season by head coach Dave Rice.
On Aug. 15, a warrant was issued for Goodman’s arrest, according to Taylor Bren of the Las Vegas Sun. Goodman is facing charges of first degree burglary and grand larceny — both felonies — as well as a gross misdemeanor charge. The alleged incident occurred on May 18.
Goodman has not been convicted on any charge, and is scheduled to be arraigned in court on Friday.
“We are aware of the situation and are gathering more information,” Rice told the Sun. “I will not have any specific comment until we know more. Having said that, regardless of the resolution, at the very least Savon Goodman will not play this season so he can focus on getting his priorities in order.”
Despite the charges, Rice said he did not kick Goodman off the team, and that he will begin classes at UNLV on Monday.
Goodman averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds as a freshman this past season.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)