Aug 25, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Saturday night, UNLV rising sophomore forward Savon Goodman was suspended for the 2013-2014 season by head coach Dave Rice.
On Aug. 15, a warrant was issued for Goodman’s arrest, according to Taylor Bren of the Las Vegas Sun. Goodman is facing charges of first degree burglary and grand larceny — both felonies — as well as a gross misdemeanor charge. The alleged incident occurred on May 18.
Goodman has not been convicted on any charge, and is scheduled to be arraigned in court on Friday.
“We are aware of the situation and are gathering more information,” Rice told the Sun. “I will not have any specific comment until we know more. Having said that, regardless of the resolution, at the very least Savon Goodman will not play this season so he can focus on getting his priorities in order.”
Despite the charges, Rice said he did not kick Goodman off the team, and that he will begin classes at UNLV on Monday.
Goodman averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds as a freshman this past season.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)