Aug 26, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
Florida State got some disastrous news on Monday when Leonard Hamilton announced that the star of his 2013 recruiting class, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, would be ineligible to play during the 2013-2014 season.
Rathan-Mayes failed to make it through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center as they refused to accept a year of credits that he took at a high school in North Carolina, according to a report. He spent a season at Christian Faith Center Academy, which was run by Ro Russell. You can watch the 45 minute report from Fifth Estate, a show similar to 60 Minutes in Canada, on Russell and Christian Faith Center Academy here. Kevin Thomas (Texas) and Braeden Anderson (Kansas) were also ruled ineligible as a result of their time at Russell’s school.
Rathan-Mayes was the No. 30 recruit in the country, per Rivals, but he was probably best known as Andrew Wiggins’ friend and high school teammate at Huntington Prep. One of the reasons that Wiggins had Florida State in his final four teams was that Rathan-Mayes decided to go to school there. Wiggins spent a few months at Christian Faith Center Academy, but it was as an eighth-grader. He’s already been cleared.
Losing Rathan-Mayes is a massive blow to the Seminoles, who are looking to rebuild after losing Michael Snaer and missing out on the NCAA tournament last season. Ian Miller and Devon Bookert are both back, as is Okaro White and Montay Brandon, but that just means that this is basically the same Florida State team as last season minus an all-league player.
It could end up being a long year in Tallahassee.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)