Aug 26, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Florida State got some disastrous news on Monday when Leonard Hamilton announced that the star of his 2013 recruiting class, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, would be ineligible to play during the 2013-2014 season.
Rathan-Mayes failed to make it through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center as they refused to accept a year of credits that he took at a high school in North Carolina, according to a report. He spent a season at Christian Faith Center Academy, which was run by Ro Russell. You can watch the 45 minute report from Fifth Estate, a show similar to 60 Minutes in Canada, on Russell and Christian Faith Center Academy here. Kevin Thomas (Texas) and Braeden Anderson (Kansas) were also ruled ineligible as a result of their time at Russell’s school.
Rathan-Mayes was the No. 30 recruit in the country, per Rivals, but he was probably best known as Andrew Wiggins’ friend and high school teammate at Huntington Prep. One of the reasons that Wiggins had Florida State in his final four teams was that Rathan-Mayes decided to go to school there. Wiggins spent a few months at Christian Faith Center Academy, but it was as an eighth-grader. He’s already been cleared.
Losing Rathan-Mayes is a massive blow to the Seminoles, who are looking to rebuild after losing Michael Snaer and missing out on the NCAA tournament last season. Ian Miller and Devon Bookert are both back, as is Okaro White and Montay Brandon, but that just means that this is basically the same Florida State team as last season minus an all-league player.
It could end up being a long year in Tallahassee.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)