Aug 26, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Andy Enfield and USC have their point guard for next season. The NCAA granted a waiver to Maryland transfer Pe’Shon Howard on Monday evening.
Howard is a Los Angeles native and played his first three years at Maryland before he decided to transfer back to the west coast in June. The reason behind Howard’s transfer was so he could be closer to his ailing grandmother. The NCAA granted him a hardship waiver, allowing him to play immediately this season.
“We are happy that Pe’Shon will be able to spend time with his grandmother who helped raise him here in Los Angeles,” Enfield said in a statement released by the school. “On the court, Pe’Shon will provide leadership and we expect him to have a terrific senior season.”
The Trojans will be one of the younger teams in the Pac-12 with six freshman and four sophomores on the current roster (not including Katin Reinhardt because he is sitting out this season). USC will combat that with an experienced backcourt with the addition of Howard and returning J.T. Terrell for his senior year after averaged 11.7 points per game as a junior. The newest Trojan will fill the role left by the graduating Jio Fontan, who was second in the conference with 5.3 assists per game.
The 6-foot-3 Howard will have one more year of eligibility, as he will provide a bridge for Reinhardt, his successor. Reinhardt transferred from UNLV after his freshman year, and is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules. Reinhardt will have three years remaining.
This is the second transfer USC has landed in the past four days. On Friday, USC announced the addition of former VCU center D.J. Haley. The 7-footer averaged 2.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in his career with the Rams. Haley graduated from VCU, and according to NCAA rules is also eligible to play this season for the Trojans.
Howard averaged 3.3 points, 3.6 assists and 2.4 rebound per game for the Terrapins this past season.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)