Aug 26, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Andy Enfield and USC have their point guard for next season. The NCAA granted a waiver to Maryland transfer Pe’Shon Howard on Monday evening.
Howard is a Los Angeles native and played his first three years at Maryland before he decided to transfer back to the west coast in June. The reason behind Howard’s transfer was so he could be closer to his ailing grandmother. The NCAA granted him a hardship waiver, allowing him to play immediately this season.
“We are happy that Pe’Shon will be able to spend time with his grandmother who helped raise him here in Los Angeles,” Enfield said in a statement released by the school. “On the court, Pe’Shon will provide leadership and we expect him to have a terrific senior season.”
The Trojans will be one of the younger teams in the Pac-12 with six freshman and four sophomores on the current roster (not including Katin Reinhardt because he is sitting out this season). USC will combat that with an experienced backcourt with the addition of Howard and returning J.T. Terrell for his senior year after averaged 11.7 points per game as a junior. The newest Trojan will fill the role left by the graduating Jio Fontan, who was second in the conference with 5.3 assists per game.
The 6-foot-3 Howard will have one more year of eligibility, as he will provide a bridge for Reinhardt, his successor. Reinhardt transferred from UNLV after his freshman year, and is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules. Reinhardt will have three years remaining.
This is the second transfer USC has landed in the past four days. On Friday, USC announced the addition of former VCU center D.J. Haley. The 7-footer averaged 2.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in his career with the Rams. Haley graduated from VCU, and according to NCAA rules is also eligible to play this season for the Trojans.
Howard averaged 3.3 points, 3.6 assists and 2.4 rebound per game for the Terrapins this past season.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)