Aug 26, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Andy Enfield and USC have their point guard for next season. The NCAA granted a waiver to Maryland transfer Pe’Shon Howard on Monday evening.
Howard is a Los Angeles native and played his first three years at Maryland before he decided to transfer back to the west coast in June. The reason behind Howard’s transfer was so he could be closer to his ailing grandmother. The NCAA granted him a hardship waiver, allowing him to play immediately this season.
“We are happy that Pe’Shon will be able to spend time with his grandmother who helped raise him here in Los Angeles,” Enfield said in a statement released by the school. “On the court, Pe’Shon will provide leadership and we expect him to have a terrific senior season.”
The Trojans will be one of the younger teams in the Pac-12 with six freshman and four sophomores on the current roster (not including Katin Reinhardt because he is sitting out this season). USC will combat that with an experienced backcourt with the addition of Howard and returning J.T. Terrell for his senior year after averaged 11.7 points per game as a junior. The newest Trojan will fill the role left by the graduating Jio Fontan, who was second in the conference with 5.3 assists per game.
The 6-foot-3 Howard will have one more year of eligibility, as he will provide a bridge for Reinhardt, his successor. Reinhardt transferred from UNLV after his freshman year, and is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules. Reinhardt will have three years remaining.
This is the second transfer USC has landed in the past four days. On Friday, USC announced the addition of former VCU center D.J. Haley. The 7-footer averaged 2.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in his career with the Rams. Haley graduated from VCU, and according to NCAA rules is also eligible to play this season for the Trojans.
Howard averaged 3.3 points, 3.6 assists and 2.4 rebound per game for the Terrapins this past season.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)