Aug 26, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Over the weekend, UNLV reserve forward Savon Goodman was charged with two felonies, first degree burglary and grand larceny. Head coach Dave Rice didn’t kick Goodman, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 boards, off the team, but he did announce that the rising sophomore would not be playing during the 2013-2014 season.
Taylor Bern, who covers UNLV for the Las Vegas Sun, got a hold of the police report from the May 18th incident that led to the arrest, and it doesn’t look good for Goodman:
Goodman went into a friend’s apartment in a complex in the 3800 block of Swenson Street. He was there without permission and fled through a patio door when the resident heard noises and went to investigate. The victim said Goodman was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with the hood over his head, but Goodman’s eyes and face were clearly visible. Goodman and the victim both made eye contact.
After Goodman left, the victim continued to check the apartment when he heard additional footsteps and then the front door unlock, open and quickly close.
“We are aware of the situation and are gathering more information,” Rice told the Sun on Saturday night. “I will not have any specific comment until we know more. Having said that, regardless of the resolution, at the very least Savon Goodman will not play this season so he can focus on getting his priorities in order.”
The good news for UNLV is that they have plenty of depth in the front court, especially after picking up Jamal Aytes last week.
Rice had previously said that he didn’t intend to use his final open scholarship, vacated by Katin Reinhardt’s decision to transfer, so I wonder if Aytes has Goodman to thank for his spot on the UNLV roster.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)