Aug 26, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Over the weekend, UNLV reserve forward Savon Goodman was charged with two felonies, first degree burglary and grand larceny. Head coach Dave Rice didn’t kick Goodman, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 boards, off the team, but he did announce that the rising sophomore would not be playing during the 2013-2014 season.
Taylor Bern, who covers UNLV for the Las Vegas Sun, got a hold of the police report from the May 18th incident that led to the arrest, and it doesn’t look good for Goodman:
Goodman went into a friend’s apartment in a complex in the 3800 block of Swenson Street. He was there without permission and fled through a patio door when the resident heard noises and went to investigate. The victim said Goodman was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with the hood over his head, but Goodman’s eyes and face were clearly visible. Goodman and the victim both made eye contact.
After Goodman left, the victim continued to check the apartment when he heard additional footsteps and then the front door unlock, open and quickly close.
“We are aware of the situation and are gathering more information,” Rice told the Sun on Saturday night. “I will not have any specific comment until we know more. Having said that, regardless of the resolution, at the very least Savon Goodman will not play this season so he can focus on getting his priorities in order.”
The good news for UNLV is that they have plenty of depth in the front court, especially after picking up Jamal Aytes last week.
Rice had previously said that he didn’t intend to use his final open scholarship, vacated by Katin Reinhardt’s decision to transfer, so I wonder if Aytes has Goodman to thank for his spot on the UNLV roster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)