Aug 26, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Over the weekend, UNLV reserve forward Savon Goodman was charged with two felonies, first degree burglary and grand larceny. Head coach Dave Rice didn’t kick Goodman, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 boards, off the team, but he did announce that the rising sophomore would not be playing during the 2013-2014 season.
Taylor Bern, who covers UNLV for the Las Vegas Sun, got a hold of the police report from the May 18th incident that led to the arrest, and it doesn’t look good for Goodman:
Goodman went into a friend’s apartment in a complex in the 3800 block of Swenson Street. He was there without permission and fled through a patio door when the resident heard noises and went to investigate. The victim said Goodman was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with the hood over his head, but Goodman’s eyes and face were clearly visible. Goodman and the victim both made eye contact.
After Goodman left, the victim continued to check the apartment when he heard additional footsteps and then the front door unlock, open and quickly close.
“We are aware of the situation and are gathering more information,” Rice told the Sun on Saturday night. “I will not have any specific comment until we know more. Having said that, regardless of the resolution, at the very least Savon Goodman will not play this season so he can focus on getting his priorities in order.”
The good news for UNLV is that they have plenty of depth in the front court, especially after picking up Jamal Aytes last week.
Rice had previously said that he didn’t intend to use his final open scholarship, vacated by Katin Reinhardt’s decision to transfer, so I wonder if Aytes has Goodman to thank for his spot on the UNLV roster.
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)