Aug 26, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
This past weekend at the Under Armour Elite 24 in Brooklyn, the latest potential package deal — one that could punish defenses on the wing in the 2014-2015 season — was born.
Mater Dei High (Calif.) wing Stanley Johnson and St. John’s School (Texas) small forward Justise Winslow told SNY.tv that they have discussed that possibility.
“We got a couple of similar schools on our lists and I think together we can do something real special in college,” Johnson said after earning Co-MVP honors with Emmanuel Mudiay for Team Bed Stuy at Saturday’s Elite 24. “Me and him think similarly so me and him are really talking about it, trying to get a decision done.”
The commons schools between the two 2014 wings are Arizona, Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky and UCLA, though, Johnson said the two are keying in on Zona, UK and Florida with the USC potentialy becoming an option at some point. Last week, the 6-foot-6 Johnson has set official visits to the Gainesville, Lexington, Tucson campuses as well as Southern Cal. Winslow told SNY that he is going to once again trim his list of offers; this time he’s be cutting it down to five from eight remaining schools.
“The best one-two punch in the country,” Johnson referred to himself and Winslow if they do make it to the same school.
It seems like these package deals will be tough to actually complete, specifically this one. Both Johnson and Winslow play the same position. Obviously, these two are versatile enough where one could be two-guard, but when you look at the schools that they are both considering, there’s too many factors. What if a guy like James Young remains at Kentucky for a sophomore year? Arizona freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson doesn’t appear to be a one-and-done candidate. Billy Donovan already landed a shooting guard for 2014 and like Kentucky is still in play for other elite wings like Devin Booker and Kelly Oubre.
As fun as the Johnson-Winslow combo would be, I’d like to see it before I believe it.
Johnson is ranked No. 8 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, and Winslow is listed as No. 16, also by Rivals. It should be noted that the 6-foot-6 Winslow has also been rumored to be part of the Jahlil Okafor-Tyus Jones package deal.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)