Aug 27, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Things were getting too good to be true for first year USC head coach Andy Enfield.
Pe’Shon Howard and D.J. Haley recently transferred from their schools on the East Coast back to their native state — Howard from Maryland and Haley from Virginia Commonwealth — and both will be eligible to play for the 2013-14 season, providing immediate help for a team that struggled on offense last year and lost their top two offensive threats in Jio Fontan and Eric Wise to graduation.
Unfortunately for Enfield, Ari Stewart will not be a part of the rebuilding effort that he has on his hands. Stewart has been ruled academically ineligible for the coming season, Galen Central first reported.
Stewart was a Top 50 recruit coming out of high school, according to Scout.com. He spent his first two seasons at Wake Forest, but transferred to USC following the 2010-11 season due to academic struggles. Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik told the Star News Online of Stewart’s struggles in the classroom:
Our players are going to be held accountable for doing the right thing. That means going to class and doing what’s expected. That’s all part of being a player. He’s got some academic work he needs to address.
Stewart’s academic issues have caught up to him once again. His eligibility for the coming season was very much up in the air over the summer as Stewart was actually ineligible, but he was attending summer school in an attempt to regain his eligibility.
Even though his basketball career is all but over, Stewart is reportedly enrolled in classes and began them on Monday as he looks to get back on track academically to earn his degree.
Stewart did not play a prominent role under last year’s initial coach Kevin O’Neil, but was more of a factor under interim coach Bob Cantu. Over a seven game stretch in the middle of the Pac-12 schedule, Stewart averaged 13.3 minutes and 4.4 points, but a broken left hand forced him to miss six of USC’s final eight games.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)