Aug 27, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
This is the time of year that preview magazines start rolling out, and while much of what is written in these magazines — and our preview series, which we will start rolling out next month — will be proven wrong in the first month of the season, arguing about where a team is ranked or who is a preseason all-american is more fun than anything we’re doing college basketball-related right now.
Lindy’s posted their cover as a teaser for the release of their magazine on Tuesday, and on it, they have listed their preseason top 10.
And it’s sure to create some discussion.
Lindy’s ranks Michigan State as their preseason No. 1 team, followed by Kentucky at No. 2. I love the Spartans this season, and if Adreian Payne can be a presence in the paint, Gary Harris develops like we all expect him too and Keith Appling learns to be a better point guard, Tom Izzo’s club not only could end up winning a national title, but they may also beat Kentucky when they play on November 12th.
But Kentucky this season is much closer to being the Kentucky of 2012 than the Kentucky of 2013. They have seven or eight first round picks on the roster. They have one of the best recruiting classes in the history of college basketball coming in. Lindy’s may end up being the only outlet that doesn’t rank Kentucky No. 1.
To be honest, that’s not the biggest issue I have with their top ten.
First and foremost, North Carolina is ranked fifth in the country despite the fact that they lost Reggie Bullock to the draft, they may lose PJ Hairston for an extended period of time, and are going to be forced to rely on either Marcus Paige at the point or spend another season with a freshman, Nate Britt, running the show. I had UNC outside the top ten with Hairston.
But that’s still not my biggest qualm.
Louisville at No. 7?
I know they lose Peyton Siva and I know they lose Gorgui Dieng, but with Russ Smith and Montrezl Harrell returning as well as another talented recruiting class coming in, I don’t see how the Cardinals, who are coming off of a Final Four and a national title the last two seasons, can be ranked outside the top three.
But see, that’s the beauty of the offseason.
Everyone’s entitled to an opinion.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)