Aug 27, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
This is the time of year that preview magazines start rolling out, and while much of what is written in these magazines — and our preview series, which we will start rolling out next month — will be proven wrong in the first month of the season, arguing about where a team is ranked or who is a preseason all-american is more fun than anything we’re doing college basketball-related right now.
Lindy’s posted their cover as a teaser for the release of their magazine on Tuesday, and on it, they have listed their preseason top 10.
And it’s sure to create some discussion.
Lindy’s ranks Michigan State as their preseason No. 1 team, followed by Kentucky at No. 2. I love the Spartans this season, and if Adreian Payne can be a presence in the paint, Gary Harris develops like we all expect him too and Keith Appling learns to be a better point guard, Tom Izzo’s club not only could end up winning a national title, but they may also beat Kentucky when they play on November 12th.
But Kentucky this season is much closer to being the Kentucky of 2012 than the Kentucky of 2013. They have seven or eight first round picks on the roster. They have one of the best recruiting classes in the history of college basketball coming in. Lindy’s may end up being the only outlet that doesn’t rank Kentucky No. 1.
To be honest, that’s not the biggest issue I have with their top ten.
First and foremost, North Carolina is ranked fifth in the country despite the fact that they lost Reggie Bullock to the draft, they may lose PJ Hairston for an extended period of time, and are going to be forced to rely on either Marcus Paige at the point or spend another season with a freshman, Nate Britt, running the show. I had UNC outside the top ten with Hairston.
But that’s still not my biggest qualm.
Louisville at No. 7?
I know they lose Peyton Siva and I know they lose Gorgui Dieng, but with Russ Smith and Montrezl Harrell returning as well as another talented recruiting class coming in, I don’t see how the Cardinals, who are coming off of a Final Four and a national title the last two seasons, can be ranked outside the top three.
But see, that’s the beauty of the offseason.
Everyone’s entitled to an opinion.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)