Aug 27, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
The assumption within the North Carolina program seems to be that embattled guard PJ Hairston will miss some time this season, but that it’s a virtual certainty that he will play this season.
UNC AD Bubba Cunningham said as much to a group of journalism professors earlier this month.
And now, for the first time since getting pulled over in a GMC Yukon that was rented by a convicted felon named Fats Thomas with weed and a gun in the car, Hairston has commented publicly.
“Yeah, I’ll be on the court,” Hairston told the Daily Tar Heel last night while shooting around on one of the outdoor courts on the Chapel Hill campus. “I’m not sure how long I’ll have to sit out. I haven’t found out yet, but whatever it is I’m ready for it.”
Hairston’s summer has been a nightmare for head coach Roy Williams. In addition to getting pulled over on June 5th — all charges were eventually dropped — news broke that Hairston had been caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro that was rented for him by a woman that lives Thomas. Then, in July, Hairston was pulled over for driving 93 in a 65, which resulted in a reckless driving charge and an indefinite suspension from the team.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)