Aug 27, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
The assumption within the North Carolina program seems to be that embattled guard PJ Hairston will miss some time this season, but that it’s a virtual certainty that he will play this season.
UNC AD Bubba Cunningham said as much to a group of journalism professors earlier this month.
And now, for the first time since getting pulled over in a GMC Yukon that was rented by a convicted felon named Fats Thomas with weed and a gun in the car, Hairston has commented publicly.
“Yeah, I’ll be on the court,” Hairston told the Daily Tar Heel last night while shooting around on one of the outdoor courts on the Chapel Hill campus. “I’m not sure how long I’ll have to sit out. I haven’t found out yet, but whatever it is I’m ready for it.”
Hairston’s summer has been a nightmare for head coach Roy Williams. In addition to getting pulled over on June 5th — all charges were eventually dropped — news broke that Hairston had been caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro that was rented for him by a woman that lives Thomas. Then, in July, Hairston was pulled over for driving 93 in a 65, which resulted in a reckless driving charge and an indefinite suspension from the team.
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- New Mexico’s Craig Neal cuts hair for ‘Locks of Love’ (VIDEO) 0
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)