Aug 27, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
The assumption within the North Carolina program seems to be that embattled guard PJ Hairston will miss some time this season, but that it’s a virtual certainty that he will play this season.
UNC AD Bubba Cunningham said as much to a group of journalism professors earlier this month.
And now, for the first time since getting pulled over in a GMC Yukon that was rented by a convicted felon named Fats Thomas with weed and a gun in the car, Hairston has commented publicly.
“Yeah, I’ll be on the court,” Hairston told the Daily Tar Heel last night while shooting around on one of the outdoor courts on the Chapel Hill campus. “I’m not sure how long I’ll have to sit out. I haven’t found out yet, but whatever it is I’m ready for it.”
Hairston’s summer has been a nightmare for head coach Roy Williams. In addition to getting pulled over on June 5th — all charges were eventually dropped — news broke that Hairston had been caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro that was rented for him by a woman that lives Thomas. Then, in July, Hairston was pulled over for driving 93 in a 65, which resulted in a reckless driving charge and an indefinite suspension from the team.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)