Aug 27, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
The assumption within the North Carolina program seems to be that embattled guard PJ Hairston will miss some time this season, but that it’s a virtual certainty that he will play this season.
UNC AD Bubba Cunningham said as much to a group of journalism professors earlier this month.
And now, for the first time since getting pulled over in a GMC Yukon that was rented by a convicted felon named Fats Thomas with weed and a gun in the car, Hairston has commented publicly.
“Yeah, I’ll be on the court,” Hairston told the Daily Tar Heel last night while shooting around on one of the outdoor courts on the Chapel Hill campus. “I’m not sure how long I’ll have to sit out. I haven’t found out yet, but whatever it is I’m ready for it.”
Hairston’s summer has been a nightmare for head coach Roy Williams. In addition to getting pulled over on June 5th — all charges were eventually dropped — news broke that Hairston had been caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro that was rented for him by a woman that lives Thomas. Then, in July, Hairston was pulled over for driving 93 in a 65, which resulted in a reckless driving charge and an indefinite suspension from the team.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0