Aug 27, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Incoming Memphis freshman Pookie Powell is enrolled in classes, but will redshirt for the 2013-14 season, his head coach Josh Pastner announced today.
This is a win all the way around.
Prior to even being admitted to Memphis, it was questionable whether the Top 100 recruit, according to Rivals.com, would qualify academically. PawOfTheTiger.com reported back in April of 2013 that it wasn’t so much Powell’s high school grades that were an issue, but rather his ACT score. Fast forward several months, and Powell qualified and is good to go at Memphis. That’s a win, in and of itself for Memphis basketball.
Even though he is eligible, Powell probably was not going to receive many minutes this coming season, considering Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, Geron Johnson are all ahead of him.
The fact that Powell can learn Pastner’s system and style of coaching without using up a year of eligibility, along with being able to focus on getting on a good track academically without the pressures of playing as a freshman, another win for all parties.
Pastner told CBSSports.com earlier today: “But the bottom line is that he’s here.”
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)