Aug 27, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Incoming Memphis freshman Pookie Powell is enrolled in classes, but will redshirt for the 2013-14 season, his head coach Josh Pastner announced today.
This is a win all the way around.
Prior to even being admitted to Memphis, it was questionable whether the Top 100 recruit, according to Rivals.com, would qualify academically. PawOfTheTiger.com reported back in April of 2013 that it wasn’t so much Powell’s high school grades that were an issue, but rather his ACT score. Fast forward several months, and Powell qualified and is good to go at Memphis. That’s a win, in and of itself for Memphis basketball.
Even though he is eligible, Powell probably was not going to receive many minutes this coming season, considering Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, Geron Johnson are all ahead of him.
The fact that Powell can learn Pastner’s system and style of coaching without using up a year of eligibility, along with being able to focus on getting on a good track academically without the pressures of playing as a freshman, another win for all parties.
Pastner told CBSSports.com earlier today: “But the bottom line is that he’s here.”
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)