Aug 27, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Today was the final day of the add/drop period at the University of Florida, which means that today was the last day that Chris Walker had to enroll this semester if he wanted to play for and practice with the Gators beginning in September.
According to a report from Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com, Walker has yet to do that.
The 6-foot-10 McDonald’s All-American has spent the summer taking classes to try and get himself through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center, and per Parrish’s report, Walker has yet to finish the necessary classwork and, as a result, cannot enroll until he does.
“But he’s close,” the source told Parrish. “He should enroll and be eligible in December.”
This hurts Florida, but it is certainly not a death-blow to their season. On the one hand, Patric Young and Will Yeguete both return this season, while Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, transfers from South Carolina and Virginia Tech, respectively, will be eligible to play. That’s a talented enough front line to compete with anyone in the country.
And it’s also important to remember that, at this point, the plan is for Walker to enroll in December. So while he’ll miss games against Wisconsin, Florida State, UConn and, potentially, Kansas and Memphis, he should be back for SEC play, both Kentucky games and the postseason.
In the end, that’s what really matters.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)