Aug 27, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Today was the final day of the add/drop period at the University of Florida, which means that today was the last day that Chris Walker had to enroll this semester if he wanted to play for and practice with the Gators beginning in September.
According to a report from Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com, Walker has yet to do that.
The 6-foot-10 McDonald’s All-American has spent the summer taking classes to try and get himself through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center, and per Parrish’s report, Walker has yet to finish the necessary classwork and, as a result, cannot enroll until he does.
“But he’s close,” the source told Parrish. “He should enroll and be eligible in December.”
This hurts Florida, but it is certainly not a death-blow to their season. On the one hand, Patric Young and Will Yeguete both return this season, while Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, transfers from South Carolina and Virginia Tech, respectively, will be eligible to play. That’s a talented enough front line to compete with anyone in the country.
And it’s also important to remember that, at this point, the plan is for Walker to enroll in December. So while he’ll miss games against Wisconsin, Florida State, UConn and, potentially, Kansas and Memphis, he should be back for SEC play, both Kentucky games and the postseason.
In the end, that’s what really matters.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)