Aug 27, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Today was the final day of the add/drop period at the University of Florida, which means that today was the last day that Chris Walker had to enroll this semester if he wanted to play for and practice with the Gators beginning in September.
According to a report from Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com, Walker has yet to do that.
The 6-foot-10 McDonald’s All-American has spent the summer taking classes to try and get himself through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center, and per Parrish’s report, Walker has yet to finish the necessary classwork and, as a result, cannot enroll until he does.
“But he’s close,” the source told Parrish. “He should enroll and be eligible in December.”
This hurts Florida, but it is certainly not a death-blow to their season. On the one hand, Patric Young and Will Yeguete both return this season, while Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, transfers from South Carolina and Virginia Tech, respectively, will be eligible to play. That’s a talented enough front line to compete with anyone in the country.
And it’s also important to remember that, at this point, the plan is for Walker to enroll in December. So while he’ll miss games against Wisconsin, Florida State, UConn and, potentially, Kansas and Memphis, he should be back for SEC play, both Kentucky games and the postseason.
In the end, that’s what really matters.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)