Aug 28, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Australian point guard Dante Exum is one of the most highly sought-after players in the 2014 class. There’s his skill level, as Exum possesses the size and versatility that few players in his class currently have. And there was also the fact that, since he’s scheduled to complete his high school studies in October, Exum would have the ability to enroll in college at the end of the fall semester.
That possibility is off the table however, as Exum told Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com that he has no plans of going that route. Also of note is the fact that it isn’t a lock that Exum will play a minute of college basketball.
“Schools have been saying I can start in early December and play this season,” Exum told ESPN. “But if college is the option, I’ll stay in Australia, do workouts with the national team and then go to college next August. Playing this season in college is not an option.”
Exum, who turns 19 on July 13, told ESPN that he remains 50-50 on whether to bypass college or go to the NBA.
Exum also revealed the five finalists for his services should he attend college: Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan and Oregon. As an international player, the NBA Draft withdrawal deadline for Exum would be ten days before the 2014 NBA Draft (which will be held on June 26, 2014). That means that even if Exum were to commit to a school before then, there’s still the possibility of him going pro.
That possibility likely affects the way in which Exum’s five finalists go about filling the remainder of their scholarships for the 2014-15 season.
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)