Aug 28, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Just over two months ago it was reported that former Monmouth forward Marcus Ware, who completed his undergraduate studies at the school, would be transferring to Iona.
Turns out that Ware will remain in the MAAC, but he’ll be doing so at another school. Ware has transferred to Niagara to play for first-year head coach Chris Casey, with the school announcing its full list of newcomers on Tuesday. Also joining the Purple Eagles, who won the MAAC regular season title last season, are former Iowa State guard Cameron Fowler and freshmen Wesley Myers (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Ramone Snowden (Virginia Beach, Va.).
Like Ware, Fowler has been cleared to play immediately due to the fact that he redshirted at Iowa State last season.
As a redshirt junior at Monmouth Ware averaged 6.4 points and 4.0 rebounds per game, finishing the season ranked third on the team in rebounding. With the loss of leading rebounder Ameen Tanksley (6.0 rpg in 2012-13), the Purple Eagles will need Ware to contribute on the glass. But Tanksley wasn’t the only key loss for Niagara, with star guard Juan’ya Green also leaving the program after head coach Joe Mihalich accepted the head coaching position at Hofstra.
Both Green and Tanksley transferred to Hofstra, where they’ll sit out the upcoming season per NCAA transfer rules. That leaves wing Antoine Mason, who posted averages of 18.7 points and 4.4 rebounds per game last year, to lead the way offensively as Niagara looks to become the first repeat MAAC regular season champion since Siena won three straight from 2008-2010 (the Saints shared the 2008 regular season title with Rider).
But that mission will be a tough one for Casey and company, as both Iona and Manhattan have put together strong squads entering the 2013-14 campaign.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)