Aug 29, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Al Skinner will return to the sidelines for the 2013-2014 season.
On Thursday morning, Bryant announced that the former Rhode Island and Boston College head coach will be joining Tim O’Shea’s Bulldog staff as an assistant coach. O’Shea was an assistant for Skinner at both schools, working under him from 1988-2001.
“It’s a bittersweet time for us,” said O’Shea. “We are losing a coach in Mike Kelly who has been with us since the beginning of our Division I transition, and his commitment to our program is a major reason we enjoyed such success last season.”
“At the same time, it is exciting to have someone of Al Skinner’s stature joining us at Bryant.”
Skinner won National Coach of the Year in 2001.
“I’m excited to work with Tim again and to work with these great student-athletes at Bryant University,” said Skinner. “It’s exciting how much progress Bryant has already made and the success it has experienced, and I’m glad to be associated with this program.”
Next season will be Bryant’s second as a full-fledged Division I member. Last season, they went 19-12 as O’Shea orchestrated one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)