Aug 29, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Al Skinner will return to the sidelines for the 2013-2014 season.
On Thursday morning, Bryant announced that the former Rhode Island and Boston College head coach will be joining Tim O’Shea’s Bulldog staff as an assistant coach. O’Shea was an assistant for Skinner at both schools, working under him from 1988-2001.
“It’s a bittersweet time for us,” said O’Shea. “We are losing a coach in Mike Kelly who has been with us since the beginning of our Division I transition, and his commitment to our program is a major reason we enjoyed such success last season.”
“At the same time, it is exciting to have someone of Al Skinner’s stature joining us at Bryant.”
Skinner won National Coach of the Year in 2001.
“I’m excited to work with Tim again and to work with these great student-athletes at Bryant University,” said Skinner. “It’s exciting how much progress Bryant has already made and the success it has experienced, and I’m glad to be associated with this program.”
Next season will be Bryant’s second as a full-fledged Division I member. Last season, they went 19-12 as O’Shea orchestrated one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history.
- NCAA sanctions for Syracuse include 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for head coach Jim Boeheim 0
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)