Aug 29, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
After winning the America East tournament last season and leading the Albany Great Danes to their third NCAA tournament appearance, head coach Will Brown has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2017-18 season. Overall Brown, whose been in charge of the Albany program since 2001, has led the Great Danes to three America East titles and a record of 172-191.
“‘I am pleased to announce that Coach Brown has signed a five-year contract extension,” Albany athletic director Dr. Lee McElroy said in the release. “Coach Brown and his staff demonstrated that his leadership, with an emphasis on service, athletics and academic excellence reflect the core values of the University.
“President Jones and I are delighted that Coach Brown will continue to build character, integrity and accountability with our student-athletes for years to come.”
Albany finished the 2012-13 season with a 24-11 record, setting a school record for wins in a season. Repeating the feat of reaching the NCAA tournament will be tough with leading scorers Mike Black (14.8 ppg) and Jacob Iati (12.2) having graduated, but the Great Danes do welcome back leading rebounder Sam Rowley (9.0, 6.2 rpg) and sophomore guard Peter Hooley (8.0, 3.1 apg).
6-10 center John Puk also returns for Albany, who will need players who were merely a part of the rotation last season to raise their level of play with Black and Iati out of eligibility. Also in the running for the America East title are Vermont, which returns six of its top seven scorers from a season ago, and reigning regular season champion Stony Brook.
- P.J. Hairston’s UNC career comes to an end as the school will not apply for his reinstatement 3
- Weekend Preview: Saturday’s slate is thrilling from noon until midnight 2
- UCLA has a lot to learn if they are going to be a contender in the Pac-12 0
- Rasheed Sulaimon climbs out of the doghouse in No. 8 Duke’s 80-63 win 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who will be the next undefeated team to lose? 2
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (9)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (7)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- Late Night Snacks: UK loses, Arizona survives, and Naadir Tharpe awakens (4)