Aug 29, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
VCU’s front court depth took a hit on Tuesday morning, as junior big man Jarred Guest dislocated his ankle.
Guest will be out for six-to-eight weeks, which means that he should be cleared — if not in shape — for the start of games.
Guest, who averaged around 10 minutes per game as a sophomore, injured the ankle during a morning workout on Tuesday. NCAA rules allows players two hours of individual instruction with the coaching staff per week, so long as the groups are made up of less than four players, and it was during one of these workouts that Guest hurt the ankle.
There will be plenty of big bodies at Shaka Smart’s disposal next season. Juvonte Reddic may be the best big man in the Atlantic 10 while Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon joins the program and will be eligible immediately. Freshman Mo Alie-Cox should be able to provide minutes as well, and with Jordan Burgess eligible and Treveon Graham back for his junior season, VCU will be able to play four-guard lineups quite a bit.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)