Aug 29, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
VCU’s front court depth took a hit on Tuesday morning, as junior big man Jarred Guest dislocated his ankle.
Guest will be out for six-to-eight weeks, which means that he should be cleared — if not in shape — for the start of games.
Guest, who averaged around 10 minutes per game as a sophomore, injured the ankle during a morning workout on Tuesday. NCAA rules allows players two hours of individual instruction with the coaching staff per week, so long as the groups are made up of less than four players, and it was during one of these workouts that Guest hurt the ankle.
There will be plenty of big bodies at Shaka Smart’s disposal next season. Juvonte Reddic may be the best big man in the Atlantic 10 while Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon joins the program and will be eligible immediately. Freshman Mo Alie-Cox should be able to provide minutes as well, and with Jordan Burgess eligible and Treveon Graham back for his junior season, VCU will be able to play four-guard lineups quite a bit.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)