Aug 30, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
With mainstay Juvonte Reddic and Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon both entering their senior seasons, VCU head coach Shaka Smart needed some additional bodies in the front court for the 2014 season and beyond. On Friday the Rams received a boost in that department, as 2014 forward Justin Tillman (Pershing HS, Detroit) verbally committed to attend the Atlantic 10 school.
Tillman helped lead the Doughboys to a 25-1 record and a spot in the Michigan Class A state quarterfinals this past season, where they fell to eventual champion Romulus High School by two points. Two of the players on that Romulus team, Wes Clark (Missouri) and E.C. Matthews (Rhode Island), are expected to be key contributors on their respective college teams this season.
As for Tillman, the 6-7 forward is thought to be a very good fit for the “HAVOC” style that coach Smart’s teams play. In 2014 he’ll join a front court rotations that at this time is on course to include Jarred Guest (who will be a senior in 2014), Mo-Alie Cox and Antravious Simmons. Treveon Graham and Jordan Burgess, who like Cox redshirted in 2012-13, will also have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season begins.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)