Aug 30, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
With mainstay Juvonte Reddic and Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon both entering their senior seasons, VCU head coach Shaka Smart needed some additional bodies in the front court for the 2014 season and beyond. On Friday the Rams received a boost in that department, as 2014 forward Justin Tillman (Pershing HS, Detroit) verbally committed to attend the Atlantic 10 school.
Tillman helped lead the Doughboys to a 25-1 record and a spot in the Michigan Class A state quarterfinals this past season, where they fell to eventual champion Romulus High School by two points. Two of the players on that Romulus team, Wes Clark (Missouri) and E.C. Matthews (Rhode Island), are expected to be key contributors on their respective college teams this season.
As for Tillman, the 6-7 forward is thought to be a very good fit for the “HAVOC” style that coach Smart’s teams play. In 2014 he’ll join a front court rotations that at this time is on course to include Jarred Guest (who will be a senior in 2014), Mo-Alie Cox and Antravious Simmons. Treveon Graham and Jordan Burgess, who like Cox redshirted in 2012-13, will also have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season begins.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)
- Obama weighs in on the NCAA, calling amateurism ‘not fair’ (14)