Aug 30, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
With mainstay Juvonte Reddic and Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon both entering their senior seasons, VCU head coach Shaka Smart needed some additional bodies in the front court for the 2014 season and beyond. On Friday the Rams received a boost in that department, as 2014 forward Justin Tillman (Pershing HS, Detroit) verbally committed to attend the Atlantic 10 school.
Tillman helped lead the Doughboys to a 25-1 record and a spot in the Michigan Class A state quarterfinals this past season, where they fell to eventual champion Romulus High School by two points. Two of the players on that Romulus team, Wes Clark (Missouri) and E.C. Matthews (Rhode Island), are expected to be key contributors on their respective college teams this season.
As for Tillman, the 6-7 forward is thought to be a very good fit for the “HAVOC” style that coach Smart’s teams play. In 2014 he’ll join a front court rotations that at this time is on course to include Jarred Guest (who will be a senior in 2014), Mo-Alie Cox and Antravious Simmons. Treveon Graham and Jordan Burgess, who like Cox redshirted in 2012-13, will also have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season begins.
- Latest mixtape for Dennis Smith Jr. shows how talented he is (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1