Aug 30, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
With mainstay Juvonte Reddic and Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon both entering their senior seasons, VCU head coach Shaka Smart needed some additional bodies in the front court for the 2014 season and beyond. On Friday the Rams received a boost in that department, as 2014 forward Justin Tillman (Pershing HS, Detroit) verbally committed to attend the Atlantic 10 school.
Tillman helped lead the Doughboys to a 25-1 record and a spot in the Michigan Class A state quarterfinals this past season, where they fell to eventual champion Romulus High School by two points. Two of the players on that Romulus team, Wes Clark (Missouri) and E.C. Matthews (Rhode Island), are expected to be key contributors on their respective college teams this season.
As for Tillman, the 6-7 forward is thought to be a very good fit for the “HAVOC” style that coach Smart’s teams play. In 2014 he’ll join a front court rotations that at this time is on course to include Jarred Guest (who will be a senior in 2014), Mo-Alie Cox and Antravious Simmons. Treveon Graham and Jordan Burgess, who like Cox redshirted in 2012-13, will also have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season begins.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)