Aug 30, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
With one of the program’s best rebounders in Anthony Campbell having graduated, 6-5 forward Markee Mazyck was expected to help Austin Peay on the boards in 2013-14. Unfortunately for both Mazyck and head coach Dave Loos, the Frederick (Md.) CC product failed to meet the school’s academic requirements.
As a result, Mazyck will not be joining the Austin Peay basketball program.
As a sophomore at Frederick, Mazyck averaged 22.5 points and 6.7 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 21-10 record. Mazyck’s best performance came in a 105-97 loss to Chesapeake CC on January 23, as he accounted for 39 points (14-for-24 FG) and eight rebounds.
According to Luke Thompson of the Clarksville (Tenn.) Leaf-Chronicle, Mazyck’s departure opens things up when it comes to the starting small forward spot:
Without Mazyck, competition for the small forward spot will likely be between sophomores Cory Arentsen and Preston Herring, both of whom came off the bench got inconsistent minutes for the Govs last season. Leading scorer Travis Betran will have some new help on offense from Lipscomb transfer Zavion Williams and the Govs return two of their other top four scorers in big men Will Triggs and Chris Horton.
Austin Peay struggled on the glass last season, as they ranked tenth in the OVC in defensive rebounding percentage and ninth in offensive rebounding percentage. The Governors’ leading returning rebounder is sophomore Chris Horton, who averaged 6.8 rebounds per game and was named OVC Freshman of the Year.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)