Aug 30, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
With one of the program’s best rebounders in Anthony Campbell having graduated, 6-5 forward Markee Mazyck was expected to help Austin Peay on the boards in 2013-14. Unfortunately for both Mazyck and head coach Dave Loos, the Frederick (Md.) CC product failed to meet the school’s academic requirements.
As a result, Mazyck will not be joining the Austin Peay basketball program.
As a sophomore at Frederick, Mazyck averaged 22.5 points and 6.7 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 21-10 record. Mazyck’s best performance came in a 105-97 loss to Chesapeake CC on January 23, as he accounted for 39 points (14-for-24 FG) and eight rebounds.
According to Luke Thompson of the Clarksville (Tenn.) Leaf-Chronicle, Mazyck’s departure opens things up when it comes to the starting small forward spot:
Without Mazyck, competition for the small forward spot will likely be between sophomores Cory Arentsen and Preston Herring, both of whom came off the bench got inconsistent minutes for the Govs last season. Leading scorer Travis Betran will have some new help on offense from Lipscomb transfer Zavion Williams and the Govs return two of their other top four scorers in big men Will Triggs and Chris Horton.
Austin Peay struggled on the glass last season, as they ranked tenth in the OVC in defensive rebounding percentage and ninth in offensive rebounding percentage. The Governors’ leading returning rebounder is sophomore Chris Horton, who averaged 6.8 rebounds per game and was named OVC Freshman of the Year.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)