Aug 30, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
With one of the program’s best rebounders in Anthony Campbell having graduated, 6-5 forward Markee Mazyck was expected to help Austin Peay on the boards in 2013-14. Unfortunately for both Mazyck and head coach Dave Loos, the Frederick (Md.) CC product failed to meet the school’s academic requirements.
As a result, Mazyck will not be joining the Austin Peay basketball program.
As a sophomore at Frederick, Mazyck averaged 22.5 points and 6.7 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 21-10 record. Mazyck’s best performance came in a 105-97 loss to Chesapeake CC on January 23, as he accounted for 39 points (14-for-24 FG) and eight rebounds.
According to Luke Thompson of the Clarksville (Tenn.) Leaf-Chronicle, Mazyck’s departure opens things up when it comes to the starting small forward spot:
Without Mazyck, competition for the small forward spot will likely be between sophomores Cory Arentsen and Preston Herring, both of whom came off the bench got inconsistent minutes for the Govs last season. Leading scorer Travis Betran will have some new help on offense from Lipscomb transfer Zavion Williams and the Govs return two of their other top four scorers in big men Will Triggs and Chris Horton.
Austin Peay struggled on the glass last season, as they ranked tenth in the OVC in defensive rebounding percentage and ninth in offensive rebounding percentage. The Governors’ leading returning rebounder is sophomore Chris Horton, who averaged 6.8 rebounds per game and was named OVC Freshman of the Year.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)