Aug 30, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
With classes having started at most Division I schools, these are tension-filled days for incoming freshmen who have yet to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center in regards to their status for the upcoming season. One of those players is highly-touted forward Tyler Roberson, who has the talent to crack the Orange’s rotation this season. But he doesn’t have the clearance he needs from the Eligibility Center, meaning that Roberson has yet to join the program.
And according to Donna Ditota of the Syracuse Post-Standard, Roberson may be approaching a deadline in the form of the final day in which Syracuse students can add and drop classes.
SU spokesman Kevin Quinn declined to comment on when the university can admit its final students of this semester, though a different source said Roberson must hear from the NCAA before Tuesday, the last day that students can add or drop courses at SU. (Syracuse students started classes last Monday.)
If Roberson doesn’t learn his fate by then, his National Letter of Intent (NLI) will be void, he will be considered a non-qualifier, and his SU commitment is no longer binding.
If a player is deemed to be a non-qualifier he can still attend the school, but he would have to do so without the aid of an athletic scholarship and his “five years to complete four” eligibility clock would begin as well. But at this point, the only thing Roberson can do is wait and hope that the Eligibility Center rules in his favor.
If Roberson isn’t cleared, what would this do to Syracuse? Not being able to add a player of Roberson’s caliber would hurt, but in all honesty head coach Jim Boeheim has enough depth inside to absorb the personnel loss. Forwards C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant are expected to lead the way, with Rakeem Christmas, DaJuan Coleman and Baye Keita also returning from last season’s Final Four team.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)