Aug 30, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
With classes having started at most Division I schools, these are tension-filled days for incoming freshmen who have yet to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center in regards to their status for the upcoming season. One of those players is highly-touted forward Tyler Roberson, who has the talent to crack the Orange’s rotation this season. But he doesn’t have the clearance he needs from the Eligibility Center, meaning that Roberson has yet to join the program.
And according to Donna Ditota of the Syracuse Post-Standard, Roberson may be approaching a deadline in the form of the final day in which Syracuse students can add and drop classes.
SU spokesman Kevin Quinn declined to comment on when the university can admit its final students of this semester, though a different source said Roberson must hear from the NCAA before Tuesday, the last day that students can add or drop courses at SU. (Syracuse students started classes last Monday.)
If Roberson doesn’t learn his fate by then, his National Letter of Intent (NLI) will be void, he will be considered a non-qualifier, and his SU commitment is no longer binding.
If a player is deemed to be a non-qualifier he can still attend the school, but he would have to do so without the aid of an athletic scholarship and his “five years to complete four” eligibility clock would begin as well. But at this point, the only thing Roberson can do is wait and hope that the Eligibility Center rules in his favor.
If Roberson isn’t cleared, what would this do to Syracuse? Not being able to add a player of Roberson’s caliber would hurt, but in all honesty head coach Jim Boeheim has enough depth inside to absorb the personnel loss. Forwards C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant are expected to lead the way, with Rakeem Christmas, DaJuan Coleman and Baye Keita also returning from last season’s Final Four team.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)