Aug 30, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
With classes having started at most Division I schools, these are tension-filled days for incoming freshmen who have yet to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center in regards to their status for the upcoming season. One of those players is highly-touted forward Tyler Roberson, who has the talent to crack the Orange’s rotation this season. But he doesn’t have the clearance he needs from the Eligibility Center, meaning that Roberson has yet to join the program.
And according to Donna Ditota of the Syracuse Post-Standard, Roberson may be approaching a deadline in the form of the final day in which Syracuse students can add and drop classes.
SU spokesman Kevin Quinn declined to comment on when the university can admit its final students of this semester, though a different source said Roberson must hear from the NCAA before Tuesday, the last day that students can add or drop courses at SU. (Syracuse students started classes last Monday.)
If Roberson doesn’t learn his fate by then, his National Letter of Intent (NLI) will be void, he will be considered a non-qualifier, and his SU commitment is no longer binding.
If a player is deemed to be a non-qualifier he can still attend the school, but he would have to do so without the aid of an athletic scholarship and his “five years to complete four” eligibility clock would begin as well. But at this point, the only thing Roberson can do is wait and hope that the Eligibility Center rules in his favor.
If Roberson isn’t cleared, what would this do to Syracuse? Not being able to add a player of Roberson’s caliber would hurt, but in all honesty head coach Jim Boeheim has enough depth inside to absorb the personnel loss. Forwards C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant are expected to lead the way, with Rakeem Christmas, DaJuan Coleman and Baye Keita also returning from last season’s Final Four team.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)