Aug 30, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Last weekend it was reported that UNLV sophomore forward Savon Goodman won’t take the floor for the Runnin’ Rebels this season, with legal issues being the reason for head coach Dave Rice’s decision. On Friday morning the Philadelphia native was arraigned on charges of conspiracy to commit burglary (a misdemeanor), felony burglary and felony grand larceny.
Judge Cynthia Cruz set Goodman’s preliminary hearing for November 12, and Goodman was also required to report to Clark County Detention Center for a “walk-through” booking. This means that while Goodman was fingerprinted and photographed, he was free to leave the facility afterwards.
According to Las Vegas Metro Police, Goodman is alleged to have stolen a pair of sneakers, $500 and 26 video games from a friend’s apartment in May. He was charged on August 15.
The missing shoes, a pair of Nike LeBron X “Cutting Jade” sneakers in size 13, belonged to the victim’s roommate, who was not home at the time of the burglary. The cash was in the shoes.
Limited sizes of those shoes are available on amazon.com starting at $250. After the initial report, the victim realized the video games were missing, too, and he placed their estimated value at $885.
Goodman remains a member of the UNLV basketball program pending the outcome of the case. But this situation highlights coach Rice’s good fortune in being able to land 2013 forward Jamal Aytes last month. With Miker Moser having transferred to Oregon, UNLV has a hole to fill in the front court and Goodman was expected to factor into the competition.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- New Mexico’s Craig Neal cuts hair for ‘Locks of Love’ (VIDEO) 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)