Aug 30, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Last weekend it was reported that UNLV sophomore forward Savon Goodman won’t take the floor for the Runnin’ Rebels this season, with legal issues being the reason for head coach Dave Rice’s decision. On Friday morning the Philadelphia native was arraigned on charges of conspiracy to commit burglary (a misdemeanor), felony burglary and felony grand larceny.
Judge Cynthia Cruz set Goodman’s preliminary hearing for November 12, and Goodman was also required to report to Clark County Detention Center for a “walk-through” booking. This means that while Goodman was fingerprinted and photographed, he was free to leave the facility afterwards.
According to Las Vegas Metro Police, Goodman is alleged to have stolen a pair of sneakers, $500 and 26 video games from a friend’s apartment in May. He was charged on August 15.
The missing shoes, a pair of Nike LeBron X “Cutting Jade” sneakers in size 13, belonged to the victim’s roommate, who was not home at the time of the burglary. The cash was in the shoes.
Limited sizes of those shoes are available on amazon.com starting at $250. After the initial report, the victim realized the video games were missing, too, and he placed their estimated value at $885.
Goodman remains a member of the UNLV basketball program pending the outcome of the case. But this situation highlights coach Rice’s good fortune in being able to land 2013 forward Jamal Aytes last month. With Miker Moser having transferred to Oregon, UNLV has a hole to fill in the front court and Goodman was expected to factor into the competition.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 0
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)