Aug 30, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
Last weekend it was reported that UNLV sophomore forward Savon Goodman won’t take the floor for the Runnin’ Rebels this season, with legal issues being the reason for head coach Dave Rice’s decision. On Friday morning the Philadelphia native was arraigned on charges of conspiracy to commit burglary (a misdemeanor), felony burglary and felony grand larceny.
Judge Cynthia Cruz set Goodman’s preliminary hearing for November 12, and Goodman was also required to report to Clark County Detention Center for a “walk-through” booking. This means that while Goodman was fingerprinted and photographed, he was free to leave the facility afterwards.
According to Las Vegas Metro Police, Goodman is alleged to have stolen a pair of sneakers, $500 and 26 video games from a friend’s apartment in May. He was charged on August 15.
The missing shoes, a pair of Nike LeBron X “Cutting Jade” sneakers in size 13, belonged to the victim’s roommate, who was not home at the time of the burglary. The cash was in the shoes.
Limited sizes of those shoes are available on amazon.com starting at $250. After the initial report, the victim realized the video games were missing, too, and he placed their estimated value at $885.
Goodman remains a member of the UNLV basketball program pending the outcome of the case. But this situation highlights coach Rice’s good fortune in being able to land 2013 forward Jamal Aytes last month. With Miker Moser having transferred to Oregon, UNLV has a hole to fill in the front court and Goodman was expected to factor into the competition.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)