Aug 30, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
Last weekend it was reported that UNLV sophomore forward Savon Goodman won’t take the floor for the Runnin’ Rebels this season, with legal issues being the reason for head coach Dave Rice’s decision. On Friday morning the Philadelphia native was arraigned on charges of conspiracy to commit burglary (a misdemeanor), felony burglary and felony grand larceny.
Judge Cynthia Cruz set Goodman’s preliminary hearing for November 12, and Goodman was also required to report to Clark County Detention Center for a “walk-through” booking. This means that while Goodman was fingerprinted and photographed, he was free to leave the facility afterwards.
According to Las Vegas Metro Police, Goodman is alleged to have stolen a pair of sneakers, $500 and 26 video games from a friend’s apartment in May. He was charged on August 15.
The missing shoes, a pair of Nike LeBron X “Cutting Jade” sneakers in size 13, belonged to the victim’s roommate, who was not home at the time of the burglary. The cash was in the shoes.
Limited sizes of those shoes are available on amazon.com starting at $250. After the initial report, the victim realized the video games were missing, too, and he placed their estimated value at $885.
Goodman remains a member of the UNLV basketball program pending the outcome of the case. But this situation highlights coach Rice’s good fortune in being able to land 2013 forward Jamal Aytes last month. With Miker Moser having transferred to Oregon, UNLV has a hole to fill in the front court and Goodman was expected to factor into the competition.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)