Aug 31, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Michigan State suffered a blow to their early-season preparations as sophomore shooting guard and reigning Big Ten freshman of the year Gary Harris sustained an ankle injury during a pickup game with teammates and is expected to miss four-to-eight weeks according to a report from Diamond Leung of MLive. The 6’4″ Harris averaged 12.9 points per game last season for the Spartans.
While the injury to Harris hurts Michigan State’s preparation for a title run early in the school year, if the injury is only four weeks he could be back before the official start of practice on September 27th. If the injury stretches out to the full eight weeks, Harris could be back by early November and might not even miss any regular season games. Michigan State opens the exhibition season on October 29th.
The ankle injury is mostly a concern if it becomes any kind of recurring issue as many basketball players can relate to ankle injuries sometimes being difficult to fully recover from. But with the aid of Michigan State’s training staff and an ankle brace, Harris should ideally fully recover by the start of the regular season and the Spartans can continue their quest for a Big Ten title and possibly even bigger things.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)