Sep 1, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The current era of Auburn basketball hasn’t been particularly pretty, with the lack of success on the court seemingly matched by the number of players who have left the program. During Tony Barbee’s three seasons on the Plains nine players have transferred out, with three others being dismissed from the program. It goes without saying that it’s difficult to rebuild a program when the roster lacks continuity.
With five newcomers and Virginia transfer K.T. Harrell joining the program this season, the hope for Auburn is that they’ll be able to take a step in the right direction in 2013-14. Over the weekend coach Barbee and his staff received a needed boost on the recruiting trail, as 2014 forward Sam Logwood became the program’s first verbal commitment in the class.
The 6-6 small forward currently attends La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind., and he’s got the skill needed to get to the basket and finish above the rim. Per 247Sports.com’s composite rankings, Logwood is ranked 116th nationally and 28th at the small forward position. With Auburn having dismissed Shaquille Johnson from the program this offseason, picking up another small forward was likely a priority for the coaching staff.
Auburn has just one returnee (senior Allen Payne) at the position, with junior college transfer Chris Griffin and freshman Dion Wade joining the program this season. Last season Payne averaged 7.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game for the Tigers, who won just nine games (9-23) and finished last in the SEC (3-15). And with Harrell being the program’s lone shooting guard at present time, Payne, Griffin and Wade could also see time at that spot in 2013-14.
Logwood’s verbal commitment gives Auburn some much-needed depth on the wing, and with both Harrell and Griffin being juniors the Tigers will need more bodies on the wings for the future. Below are a few highlights of Logwood on the grassroots circuit.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)