Sep 1, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The current era of Auburn basketball hasn’t been particularly pretty, with the lack of success on the court seemingly matched by the number of players who have left the program. During Tony Barbee’s three seasons on the Plains nine players have transferred out, with three others being dismissed from the program. It goes without saying that it’s difficult to rebuild a program when the roster lacks continuity.
With five newcomers and Virginia transfer K.T. Harrell joining the program this season, the hope for Auburn is that they’ll be able to take a step in the right direction in 2013-14. Over the weekend coach Barbee and his staff received a needed boost on the recruiting trail, as 2014 forward Sam Logwood became the program’s first verbal commitment in the class.
The 6-6 small forward currently attends La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind., and he’s got the skill needed to get to the basket and finish above the rim. Per 247Sports.com’s composite rankings, Logwood is ranked 116th nationally and 28th at the small forward position. With Auburn having dismissed Shaquille Johnson from the program this offseason, picking up another small forward was likely a priority for the coaching staff.
Auburn has just one returnee (senior Allen Payne) at the position, with junior college transfer Chris Griffin and freshman Dion Wade joining the program this season. Last season Payne averaged 7.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game for the Tigers, who won just nine games (9-23) and finished last in the SEC (3-15). And with Harrell being the program’s lone shooting guard at present time, Payne, Griffin and Wade could also see time at that spot in 2013-14.
Logwood’s verbal commitment gives Auburn some much-needed depth on the wing, and with both Harrell and Griffin being juniors the Tigers will need more bodies on the wings for the future. Below are a few highlights of Logwood on the grassroots circuit.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 2
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)