Sep 1, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
With the college football season underway many of the nation’s best basketball recruits are out and about, spending their fall Saturdays taking official (and unofficial) visits to some of the schools on their lists. And with that being the case, more than a few will verbally pledge to attend a school before returning home.
Such was the case for 2014 combo forward Isaiah Wilkins, who on Sunday verbally committed to attend Virginia (subscription required) following his official visit to the ACC school. Wilkins comes from strong basketball bloodlines, as his father was none other than the “Human Highlight Film,” Dominique Wilkins, and uncle Gerald enjoyed a lengthy NBA career as well.
At 6-7,190 Wilkins can stand to add a little muscle to his frame in order to compete on a nightly basis in the ACC, but that is expected to come as his frame matures. Wilkins is entering his senior season at Norcross (Ga.) High School, where he played on a team that won the Georgia Class AAAAAA state title last spring.
Wilkins becomes Virginia’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining shooting guard B.J. Stith (the son of UVa great Bryant Stith). With Akil Mitchell being a senior this season and Darion Atkins a junior at the power forward position, the Cavaliers have some room for additional personnel in the front court. At small forward head coach Tony Bennett has a pair of sophomores in Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)