Sep 1, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
With the college football season underway many of the nation’s best basketball recruits are out and about, spending their fall Saturdays taking official (and unofficial) visits to some of the schools on their lists. And with that being the case, more than a few will verbally pledge to attend a school before returning home.
Such was the case for 2014 combo forward Isaiah Wilkins, who on Sunday verbally committed to attend Virginia (subscription required) following his official visit to the ACC school. Wilkins comes from strong basketball bloodlines, as his father was none other than the “Human Highlight Film,” Dominique Wilkins, and uncle Gerald enjoyed a lengthy NBA career as well.
At 6-7,190 Wilkins can stand to add a little muscle to his frame in order to compete on a nightly basis in the ACC, but that is expected to come as his frame matures. Wilkins is entering his senior season at Norcross (Ga.) High School, where he played on a team that won the Georgia Class AAAAAA state title last spring.
Wilkins becomes Virginia’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining shooting guard B.J. Stith (the son of UVa great Bryant Stith). With Akil Mitchell being a senior this season and Darion Atkins a junior at the power forward position, the Cavaliers have some room for additional personnel in the front court. At small forward head coach Tony Bennett has a pair of sophomores in Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)