Sep 1, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
With the college football season underway many of the nation’s best basketball recruits are out and about, spending their fall Saturdays taking official (and unofficial) visits to some of the schools on their lists. And with that being the case, more than a few will verbally pledge to attend a school before returning home.
Such was the case for 2014 combo forward Isaiah Wilkins, who on Sunday verbally committed to attend Virginia (subscription required) following his official visit to the ACC school. Wilkins comes from strong basketball bloodlines, as his father was none other than the “Human Highlight Film,” Dominique Wilkins, and uncle Gerald enjoyed a lengthy NBA career as well.
At 6-7,190 Wilkins can stand to add a little muscle to his frame in order to compete on a nightly basis in the ACC, but that is expected to come as his frame matures. Wilkins is entering his senior season at Norcross (Ga.) High School, where he played on a team that won the Georgia Class AAAAAA state title last spring.
Wilkins becomes Virginia’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining shooting guard B.J. Stith (the son of UVa great Bryant Stith). With Akil Mitchell being a senior this season and Darion Atkins a junior at the power forward position, the Cavaliers have some room for additional personnel in the front court. At small forward head coach Tony Bennett has a pair of sophomores in Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)