Sep 1, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
With the college football season underway many of the nation’s best basketball recruits are out and about, spending their fall Saturdays taking official (and unofficial) visits to some of the schools on their lists. And with that being the case, more than a few will verbally pledge to attend a school before returning home.
Such was the case for 2014 combo forward Isaiah Wilkins, who on Sunday verbally committed to attend Virginia (subscription required) following his official visit to the ACC school. Wilkins comes from strong basketball bloodlines, as his father was none other than the “Human Highlight Film,” Dominique Wilkins, and uncle Gerald enjoyed a lengthy NBA career as well.
At 6-7,190 Wilkins can stand to add a little muscle to his frame in order to compete on a nightly basis in the ACC, but that is expected to come as his frame matures. Wilkins is entering his senior season at Norcross (Ga.) High School, where he played on a team that won the Georgia Class AAAAAA state title last spring.
Wilkins becomes Virginia’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining shooting guard B.J. Stith (the son of UVa great Bryant Stith). With Akil Mitchell being a senior this season and Darion Atkins a junior at the power forward position, the Cavaliers have some room for additional personnel in the front court. At small forward head coach Tony Bennett has a pair of sophomores in Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)