Sep 1, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
With the college football season underway many of the nation’s best basketball recruits are out and about, spending their fall Saturdays taking official (and unofficial) visits to some of the schools on their lists. And with that being the case, more than a few will verbally pledge to attend a school before returning home.
Such was the case for 2014 combo forward Isaiah Wilkins, who on Sunday verbally committed to attend Virginia (subscription required) following his official visit to the ACC school. Wilkins comes from strong basketball bloodlines, as his father was none other than the “Human Highlight Film,” Dominique Wilkins, and uncle Gerald enjoyed a lengthy NBA career as well.
At 6-7,190 Wilkins can stand to add a little muscle to his frame in order to compete on a nightly basis in the ACC, but that is expected to come as his frame matures. Wilkins is entering his senior season at Norcross (Ga.) High School, where he played on a team that won the Georgia Class AAAAAA state title last spring.
Wilkins becomes Virginia’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining shooting guard B.J. Stith (the son of UVa great Bryant Stith). With Akil Mitchell being a senior this season and Darion Atkins a junior at the power forward position, the Cavaliers have some room for additional personnel in the front court. At small forward head coach Tony Bennett has a pair of sophomores in Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)