Sep 2, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
What began as a solid weekend for the Utah basketball program thanks to Kyle Kuzma’s decision to verbally commit got even better on Sunday evening, as 2014 point guard Isaiah Wright wrapped up his official visit by doing the same Sunday evening.
Wright, a 6-2 guard from Boise, is the state’s reigning Gatorade Player of the Year and has led Borah High School to consecutive Class 5A state titles. As a junior he averaged 16.2 points, 6.9 assists, 5.2 rebounds and 3.3 steals per game. Among the other schools to have offered Wright were Boise State and Creighton, but after spending a weekend on the Utah campus he apparently saw all that he needed to see.
In a story by Rachel Roberts of the Idaho Statesman, Wright cited his relationship with Utah assistant coach Tommy Connor as one reason for his decision to commit to the Pac-12 school.
“I think the big thing was because (assistant) coach (Tommy) Connor was recruiting me for quite a while, starting my sophomore year,” Wright said. “We created a great relationship and I just felt something when I went up there that I didn’t feel at Santa Clara or Creighton. I knew I wanted to go there.”
With Wright’s decision Utah’s 2014 class gets even better, as he joins the aforementioned Kuzma and forward Brekkott Chapman as verbal commits. And with two of Utah’s better players being sophomores (forward Jordan Loveridge and guard Brandon Taylor), coach Krystkowiak and his staff are on the right track when it comes to turning things around at the Huntsman Center.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)