Sep 3, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
It is with heavy hearts that we report to you that Butler’s beloved mascot, Butler Blue II, has passed away due to complications from congestive heart failure.
Blue retired as Butler’s mascot on May 20th, but he officially handed over duties to Blue III, aka “Trip”, in a ceremony on March 9th.
“Blue really galvanized the pride and tradition of having a live mascot at Butler,” owner Michael Kaltenmark said in a university release. “His daily presence on campus, online and at everything from athletic events to black tie galas made him a living and breathing fixture of the Butler brand. He was born for the role.”
“Blue epitomized the Butler Way. We will miss him very much,” Butler president Jim Danko said.
Blue II was always beloved in Indianapolis, but he gained national fame as Butler made back-to-back national title games, because who doesn’t love an adorable English Bulldog pup?
Blue II was nine years old, but was beloved my many across the college basketball community:
I am legit sad about Blue II. Awesome dog and such a great representative for Butler. We'll miss him.
— Ronald Nored (@ronaldnored) September 3, 2013
— Matt Howard (@MHoward54) September 3, 2013
So long Blue 2. Helluva run. pic.twitter.com/E1GyNBIglO
— Scott Van Pelt (@notthefakeSVP) September 3, 2013
— Butler Blue III (@ButlerBlue3) September 3, 2013
— Jack the Bulldog (@GeorgetownJack) September 3, 2013
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)