Sep 3, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
It is with heavy hearts that we report to you that Butler’s beloved mascot, Butler Blue II, has passed away due to complications from congestive heart failure.
Blue retired as Butler’s mascot on May 20th, but he officially handed over duties to Blue III, aka “Trip”, in a ceremony on March 9th.
“Blue really galvanized the pride and tradition of having a live mascot at Butler,” owner Michael Kaltenmark said in a university release. “His daily presence on campus, online and at everything from athletic events to black tie galas made him a living and breathing fixture of the Butler brand. He was born for the role.”
“Blue epitomized the Butler Way. We will miss him very much,” Butler president Jim Danko said.
Blue II was always beloved in Indianapolis, but he gained national fame as Butler made back-to-back national title games, because who doesn’t love an adorable English Bulldog pup?
Blue II was nine years old, but was beloved my many across the college basketball community:
I am legit sad about Blue II. Awesome dog and such a great representative for Butler. We'll miss him.
— Ronald Nored (@ronaldnored) September 3, 2013
— Matt Howard (@MHoward54) September 3, 2013
So long Blue 2. Helluva run. pic.twitter.com/E1GyNBIglO
— Scott Van Pelt (@notthefakeSVP) September 3, 2013
— Butler Blue III (@ButlerBlue3) September 3, 2013
— Jack the Bulldog (@GeorgetownJack) September 3, 2013
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)