Sep 3, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
It is with heavy hearts that we report to you that Butler’s beloved mascot, Butler Blue II, has passed away due to complications from congestive heart failure.
Blue retired as Butler’s mascot on May 20th, but he officially handed over duties to Blue III, aka “Trip”, in a ceremony on March 9th.
“Blue really galvanized the pride and tradition of having a live mascot at Butler,” owner Michael Kaltenmark said in a university release. “His daily presence on campus, online and at everything from athletic events to black tie galas made him a living and breathing fixture of the Butler brand. He was born for the role.”
“Blue epitomized the Butler Way. We will miss him very much,” Butler president Jim Danko said.
Blue II was always beloved in Indianapolis, but he gained national fame as Butler made back-to-back national title games, because who doesn’t love an adorable English Bulldog pup?
Blue II was nine years old, but was beloved my many across the college basketball community:
I am legit sad about Blue II. Awesome dog and such a great representative for Butler. We'll miss him.
— Ronald Nored (@ronaldnored) September 3, 2013
— Matt Howard (@MHoward54) September 3, 2013
So long Blue 2. Helluva run. pic.twitter.com/E1GyNBIglO
— Scott Van Pelt (@notthefakeSVP) September 3, 2013
— Butler Blue III (@ButlerBlue3) September 3, 2013
— Jack the Bulldog (@GeorgetownJack) September 3, 2013
- Bubble Banter: Who will close out the regular season with a bid-earning win? 0
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)