Sep 3, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Earlier today, Will Leitch, who founded Deadspin and is an unabashed Illinois hoops fan, wrote about Cliff Alexander, the Illini’s top Class of 2014 target, and the recruiting process on an elite prospect for Sports on Earth.
More specifically, he writes about just how weird and awkward that process actually is.
I’ve become accustomed to it by now. I’ve been blogging about college hoops since 2007 and have covered the sport for NBC since 2010. I’m used to the idea of waiting with baited breath for a 16 or 17 year old to make a decision about where he will be going to college for, in many cases, all of about seven months.
But when I sit back and think about how recruiting is covered in college hoops, it’s weird, right?
As Leitch puts it, “Alexander basically has tens of thousands of people — fans, journalists, coaches, administrators — begging him to attend their school for one year. If he earns a degree, it will be years from now, while he is already a millionaire.”
Anyway, read through Leitch’s column here.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)