Sep 3, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
In Rob Murphy’s first two years as head coach of Eastern Michigan, the Eagles have seriously upped the rigor of their non-conference schedule.
According to KenPom.com, Eastern Michigan’s non-conference strength of schedule was 276 in 2009-10 and 224 in 2010-11, but when Murphy arrived the strength of schedule was 106 in 2011-12 and 108 in 2012-13.
Is Murphy employing the “Anytime, Anywhere, Anyone” kind of scheduling strategy? Maybe not that far, but he certainly isn’t shying away from the top teams in the country.
In this his third year at the helm, the non-conference schedule is highlighted with games at Kentucky (part of the Keightley Classic), vs. Massachusetts, at Purdue, vs. Green Bay, and consecutive games at Duke and at Syracuse to close out 2013.
According to Murphy: “We’re excited about playing the tough non-conference schedule we’ve put together. Facing elite programs such as Duke, Kentucky and Syracuse that have great basketball tradition are challenges we’re looking forward to.”
It shouldn’t be a surprise that Jim Boeheim threw Murphy a guarantee game as Murphy was an assistant at Syracuse from 2004-11.
In all, Eastern Michigan will play three teams that participated in the NCAA Tournament last season (Akron, Duke and Syracuse) and ten others that competed in other post-season events (Green Bay, Kentucky, Kent State, Massachusetts, Oakland, Ohio, Purdue, Robert Morris, Texas Arlington and Western Michigan).
The Eagles are looking to get back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)